Throughput Analysis and Admission Control for IEEE 802.11a
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We propose a new Markov model for the distributed coordination function (DCF) of IEEE 802.11. The model incorporates carrier sense, non-saturated traffic and SNR, for both basic and RTS/CTS access mechanisms. Analysis of the model shows that the throughput first increases, and then decreases with the number of active stations, suggesting the need for an admission control mechanism.
We introduce such a mechanism, which tries to maximize the throughput while maintaining a fair allocation. The maximum achievable throughput is tracked by the mechanism as the number of active stations increases. An extensive performance analysis shows that the mechanism provides significant improvements.
- G. Bianchi, Performance analysis of the IEEE 802.11 distributed coordination function IEEE Std 802.16–2001, Vol., 2002 Pages: 0_1–322 URL: IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 18(3), (March 2000).
- M. Ergen, IEEE 802.11 Tutorial http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ergen/docs/ieee.pdf
- M. Ergen and P. Varaiya, Understanding of analytical markov model for throughput analysis in distribution coordination function of IEEE 802.11, preprint.
- M. Ergen and P. Varaiya, Throughput formulation and WLAN optimization in mixed data rates for IEEE 802.11 DCF Mode. GLOBECOM-CAMAD 2004.
- IEEE 802.11, Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications, Standard, IEEE, Aug. 1999.
- IEEE 802.11a, Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications: High-Speed Physical Layer Extension in the 5 GHz Band, supplement to IEEE 802.11 Standard, Sept. 1999.
- Part 11: Wireless LAN, Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications: High-Speed Physical Layer Extension in the 2.4 GHz Band, supplement to IEEE 802.11 Standard, Sept. 1999.
- D. Qiao, S. Choi and K.G. Shin, Goodput analysis and link adaptation for IEEE 802.11a wireless LANs IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing 1(4) (October-December 2002).
- H. Wu, Y. Peng, K. Long, S. Cheng and J. Ma, Performance of reliable transport protocol over IEEE 802.11 wireless LAN: Analysis and Enhancement.
- Y. Xiao, A simple and effective priority scheme for IEEE 802.11, IEEE Communication Letters 7(2) (February 2003).
- Throughput Analysis and Admission Control for IEEE 802.11a
Mobile Networks and Applications
Volume 10, Issue 5 , pp 705-716
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- mobile networks
- wireless LAN
- IEEE 802.11
- distributed coordination function
- admission control
- Industry Sectors