Bond-slip behavior of CFRP plate-concrete interface
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The paper deals with evaluation of the bond performance between a CFRP plate and concrete with respect to various compressive strengths of concrete and bond lengths of the CFRP plate as parameters. To consider stress conditions in the tensile zone of reinforced concrete (RC) structures, double-lap axial tension tests were conducted for eight specimens with CFRP plates bonded to concrete prisms. In addition, a simple linear bond-slip model for the CFRP plate/concrete joints, developed from the bond tests, was used. To verify the model proposed, a total of seven RC beams were strengthened with CFRP plates and tested in flexure employing various bond lengths, strengthening methods, and numbers of CFRP plates. A nonlinear finite-element analysis, with the bond–slip model incorporated in the DIANA program, was performed for the strengthened RC beams. Also, the results of flexural test and analytical predictions are found to be in close agreement in terms of yield and ultimate loads and ductility.
- V. Nardini, M. Guadagnini, and M. R. Valluzzi, “Anchorage strength models for end-debonding predictions in RC beams strengthened with FRP composites,” Mech. Compos. Mater., 44, No. 3, 257–268 (2008). CrossRef
- B. Andersson and B. Spett, “Concrete beams strengthened with CFRP – a study of anchorage lengths,” Master Thesis 2002:217 CIV, Div. of Struct Eng, Luleå University of Technology, ISSN 1402–1617.
- S. T. Smith and J. G. Teng., “FRP-strengthened RC beams II: assessment of debonding strength models,” Eng. Struct., 24, No. 4, 385–395 (2002a). CrossRef
- S. T. Smith and J. G. Teng., “FRP-strengthened RC beams. I: review of debonding strength models,” Eng. Struct., 24, No. 4, 397–417 (2002b). CrossRef
- R. N. Swamy and P. Mukhopadhyaya, “Debonding of carbon-fibre reinforced polymer plate from concrete beams,” Proc. Inst. Civil Eng.-Struct. Build., 134, 301–317 (1999).
- G. Marchukaitis, Yu. Valivonis, and J. Bareishis, “An analysis of the joint operation of a CFRP concrete in flexural elements,” Mech. Compos. Mater., 43, No. 5, 467–478 (2007). CrossRef
- Y. N. Ziraba, M. H. Baluch, A. M. Basunbul, I. A. Sharif, A. K. Azad, and G. J. Al-Sulaimani, “Guidelines towards the design of reinforced concrete beams with external plates,” ACI Struct. J., 91, No. 6, 639–646 (1994).
- X. Z. Lu, J. G. Teng, L. P. Ye, and J. J. Jiang, “Bond–slip models for FRP sheets/plates bonded to concrete,” Eng. Struct., 27, No. 6, 920–937 (2005). CrossRef
- K. Nakaba, T. Kanakubo, T. Furuta, and H. Yoshizawa, “Bond behaviour between fiber-reinforced polymer laminates and concrete,” ACI Struct. J., 98, No. 3, 359–367 (2001).
- D. S. Yang, S. K. Park, and W. K. Neale, “Flexural behaviour of reinforced concrete beams strengthened with prestressed carbon composites,” Compos. Struct., 88, No. 4, 497–508 (2009). CrossRef
- X. Lu, J. Jiang, J. Teng, and L. Ye, “Finite element simulation of debonding in FRP-to-concrete bonded joints,” Compos. Struct., 20, No. 6, 412–424 (2006).
- R. Al-Mahaidi and R. Kalfat, “Investigation into CFRP plate end anchorage utilising uni-directional fabric wrap,” Compos. Struct., 93, No. 2, 821–830 (2011). CrossRef
- H. B. Pham and R. Al-Mahaidi, “Modelling of CFRP-concrete shear-lap tests,” Constr. Build. Mater., 21, No. 4, 727-735 (2007). CrossRef
- P. Colombi, G. Fava, and C. Poggi, “Bond strength of CFRP–concrete elements under freeze–thaw cycles,” Compos. Struct., 92, No. 4, 973–983 (2010). CrossRef
- C. Mazzotti, M. Savoia, and B. Ferracuti, “An experimental study on delamination of FRP plates bonded to concrete,” Constr. Build. Mater., 22, No. 7, 1409–1421 (2008). CrossRef
- D. Yang, Behaviour of RC Flexural member strengthened by a CFRP Plate Considering the Interfacial Bond, PhD Thesis, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Eng., Sungkyunkwan University (2005).
- Bond-slip behavior of CFRP plate-concrete interface
Mechanics of Composite Materials
Volume 47, Issue 5 , pp 529-538
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- CFRP plate
- finite-element analysis
- Industry Sectors