David Skrbina (ed.): Mind that Abides: Panpsychism in the New Millennium
- Susan Stuart
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
David Skrbina opens this timely and intriguing text with a suitably puzzling line from the Diamond Sutra: “Mind that abides nowhere must come forth.”, and he urges us to “de-emphasise the quest for the specifically human embodiment of mind” and follow Empedocles, progressing “with good will and unclouded attention” into the text which he has drawn together as editor. If we do, we are assured that it will “yield great things” (p. xi). This, I am pleased to say, is not an exercise in hyperbole.
In clearing the foreground we are first introduced to what panpsychism is not: it is not idealism, dualism, or supernaturalism; then to what it is: a claim that “the components of the world have some inherent experiential or mind-like qualities”; and finally to the structure that the book takes: Part I examines analytical and scientific approaches to the topic, Part II focuses on the process philosophy of, for example, Whitehead, Russell, Hartshorne, and Griffin, and Part III presents a range of me ...
- Chalmers, D. (1996). The conscious mind: In search of fundamental theory. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Du Sautoy, M. (2011). The code. BBC Television, http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/features/code.
- Husserl, E. (1991). On the phenomenology of the consciousness of internal time (1893–1917; transl. John Barnett Brough). Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Leibniz, G.W.F. (1695). A new system of nature. In Ariew & Garber (Eds.), Philosophical essays (transl.). Indianapolis: Hackett (1989).
- Strawson, G. (2006). Realistic monism: Why physicalism entails panpsychism. Journal of consciousness studies, 13, 10–11.
- David Skrbina (ed.): Mind that Abides: Panpsychism in the New Millennium
Minds and Machines
Volume 22, Issue 3 , pp 271-275
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Susan Stuart (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Glasgow, Glasgow, G12 8QQ, UK