Harm, risk, and doping analogies: A counter-response to Kious
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Brent Kious has objected to our previous criticism of his views on doping, maintaining that we, by and large, misrepresented his position. In this response, we strengthen our original misgivings, arguing that (1) his views on risk of harm in sport are either uncontroversially true (not inconsistent with the views of many doping opponents) or demonstrably false (attribute to doping opponents an overly simplistic view), (2) his use of analogies (still) indicates an oversimplification of many issues surrounding the question of doping in sports, and (3) his doping analogies are insufficiently precise to support his conclusions.
- MacGregor, Oskar, and Mike McNamee. 2010. Philosophy on steroids: A reply. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics 31: 401–410. CrossRef
- Kious, Brent M. 2008. Philosophy on steroids: Why the anti-doping position could use a little enhancement. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics 29: 213–234. CrossRef
- Kious, Brent M. 2010. Dispelling a few false-positives: A reply to MacGregor and McNamee on doping. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics. doi:10.1007/s11017-011-9173-1.
- World Anti-Doping Agency. 2009. World anti-doping code. http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/World_Anti-Doping_Program/WADP-The-Code/WADA_Anti-Doping_CODE_2009_EN.pdf. Accessed 21 Jan 2011.
- Williams, Bernard. 1985. Ethics and the limits of philosophy. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Bloodworth, Andrew, and Mike McNamee. 2010. Clean olympians? doping and anti-doping: The views of talented young British athletes. International Journal of Drug Policy 21: 276–282. CrossRef
- Holm, Søren. 2007. Doping under medical control—Conceptually possible but impossible in the world of professional sports? Sport Ethics and Philosophy 1: 135–145. CrossRef
- Harm, risk, and doping analogies: A counter-response to Kious
Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics
Volume 32, Issue 3 , pp 201-207
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Sports ethics
- Moral methodology
- Performance enhancement