Allen Buchanan: Justice and Health Care: Selected Essays
- Roger Stanev
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Justice and Health Care: Selected Essays collects, in a systematic but non-chronological fashion, ten of Buchanan’s most significant essays on justice and health care, written over a period of almost three decades. As the Obama administration continues to struggle to implement much-needed comprehensive health care reform in the hopes of controlling rising health care costs and extending affordable health care to over 46 million uninsured Americans , there could hardly be a more appropriate time to read Buchanan’s selected essays.
In each essay, the reader finds a methodical approach that applies economics, political science, constitutional law, and a practical perspective on policy making to a key issue surrounding the institutional implementation of a just health care system. Even though several of Buchanan’s essays were originally published over ten years ago, including two essays from the mid-1980s, all of the essays in this book continue to be relevant.
Buchanan addresses a range ...
- Executive Office of the President of the United States. 2009. The burden of health insurance premium increases on American families. http://www.whitehouse.gov/assets/documents/Health_Insurance_Premium_Report.pdf.
- Rawls, J. (1971) Theory of justice. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA
- Dworkin, R. Taking rights seriously. In: Simpson, A.W.B. eds. (1973) Oxford essays in jurisprudence. Clarendon Press, Oxford
- Daniels, N. (1985) Just health care. Cambridge University Press, New York
- Daniels, N. (1993) Rationing fairly: Pragmatic considerations. Bioethics 7: pp. 224-233 CrossRef
- Health care reform and the courts. The New York Times (May 19 2010) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/20/opinion/20thu1.html.
- Buchanan, A., Camp, M. (2006) Responsibility for global health. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics 27: pp. 95-114 CrossRef
- Allen Buchanan: Justice and Health Care: Selected Essays
Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics
Volume 32, Issue 2 , pp 137-142
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Roger Stanev (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada