Einstein’s epistemology and the search for a unified theory
- Emanuele Rossanese
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Einstein’s Unification is an interesting book aiming at providing an explanation of Einstein’s efforts to derive a unified theory of the gravitational and electromagnetic fields. Thanks to van Dongen’s collaboration to the Einstein Collected Papers Project, the book also opens up new perspectives on Einstein’s thought.
The first chapter offers a reconstruction of Einstein’s attempts to derive the field equations for his general theory of relativity (GR); here the author also quotes the fundamental work of Norton (1984) on the same issue. van Dongen identifies a dual strategy in Einstein’s research: on the one hand, a physical approach which dealt with the generalization of the Poisson equation of Newtonian gravity together with the principles of conservation of energy and momentum; on the other hand, a more mathematically oriented approach, namely the formal requirement of general covariance (as a generalization of the principle of relativity). However, it must be briefly noted that thi ...
- Howard, D. 1998. Astride the Divided Line: Platonism, Empiricism, and Einstein’s Epistemological Opportunism. In Idealization in Contemporary Physics, ed. Niall Shanks, 143–163. Amsterdam and Atlanta: Rodopi.
- Howard, D. 2004. Einstein’s philosophy of science. In Stanford encyclopaedia of philosophy. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/einstein-philscience.
- Norton, J. 1984. How Einstein found his field equations: 1912–1915. Historical Studies in the Physical Sciences, 14:253–315. (Reprinted in Howard, D., and Stachel, J. (eds.), Einstein and the History of General Relativity: Einstein Studies, Vol. I, Boston: Birkhauser, 101–159).
- Norton, J. 1993. General covariance and the foundations of general relativity: eight decades of dispute. Reports of Progress in Physics 56: 791–861. CrossRef
- Ryckman, T. 2005. The reign of relativity. Oxford: Oxford University Press. CrossRef
- Schulmann, R. et al. (eds.) 1997. The collected papers of Albert Einstein (vol. 8A, doc. 165). Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Einstein’s epistemology and the search for a unified theory
Volume 21, Issue 3 , pp 613-616
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, University of Rome 3, Via Ostiense 234, 00144, Rome, Italy