Pulling apart the quantum’s entanglement with the counter culture: How fysiks became physics
- Trevor Pinch
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
David Kaiser, a historian of science with one foot in the physics camp—he has a PhD in theoretical physics and is a member of MIT’s physics department as well as its STS program—has written a wonderful romp about a group of renegade physicists who in the Spring of 1975 at the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory formed the Fundamental Fysiks Group. Meeting around a table in a sprawling seminar room for 4 years, every Friday at 4 pm, the group intensely discussed the links between Bell’s Theorem at the foundations of quantum mechanics, consciousness, spirituality, and parapsychology. It was the Solvay conferences on acid.
The aim of the Fundamental Fysiks Group was to get back to the spirit of those encounters between Bohr and Einstein as they pondered the famous double-slit experiment. It is what Kaiser calls “big picture physics”, as opposed to the obsession with applications and calculations that came to dominate the cold war era and where interest in topics such as the foundations of quantum
- Collins, Harry and Pinch, Trevor. 2010. Frames of meaning: The social construction of extraordinary science (first published in 1982). London: Routledge.
- Harvey, Bill. 1981. Plausibility and the evaluation of knowledge: A case study of experimental quantum mechanics. Social Studies of Science 11: 95–130. CrossRef
- Turner, Fred. 2006. From counter culture to cyber culture: Stewart Brand, the whole earth network, and the rise of digital utopianism. Chicago: Chicago University Press.
- Pulling apart the quantum’s entanglement with the counter culture: How fysiks became physics
Volume 21, Issue 3 , pp 601-606
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Trevor Pinch (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Science and Technology Studies, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 14853, USA