Assessing the influence of Kuhn’s Structure of Scientific Revolutions
- K. Brad Wray
- … show all 1 hide
368 Downloads 200 Citations 9 Comments
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This essay review was especially commissioned on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the publication of Kuhn’s seminal book. It continues the series of re-appraisals of older classics.
- Andersen, H., P. Barker, and X. Chen. 2006. The cognitive structure of scientific revolutions. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. CrossRef
- Balashov, Y., and A. Rosenberg eds. 2002. Philosophy of science: Contemporary readings. London: Routledge.
- Barker, P. 2001. Kuhn, incommensurability, and cognitive science. Perspectives on Science 9(4): 433–462. CrossRef
- Bird, A.J. 2002. Kuhn’s wrong turn. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science 33: 443–463. CrossRef
- Bird, A. 2000. Thomas Kuhn. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Brown, H. 2005. Incommensurability reconsidered. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science 36(1): 149–169. CrossRef
- Brown, H.I. 1983. Incommensurability. Inquiry 26(1): 3–29. CrossRef
- Buchwald, J.Z., and G.E. Smith. 1997. Thomas S. Kuhn, 1922–1996. Philosophy of Science 64(2): 361–376. CrossRef
- Cedarbaum, D.G. 1983. Paradigms. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science 14(3): 173–213. CrossRef
- Curd, M., and J.A. Cover eds. 1998. Philosophy of science: The central issues. New York: W. W. Norton and Company.
- D’Agostino, F. 2005. Kuhn’s risk-spreading argument and the organization of scientific communities. Episteme 3: 201–209. CrossRef
- De Oliveira, J.C.P. 2007. Carnap, Kuhn, and revisionism: On the publication of structure in encyclopedia. Journal for General Philosophy of Science 38: 147–157. CrossRef
- Farmakis, L. 2008. Did Tom Kuhn actually meet Tom Bayes? Erkenntnis 68: 41–53. CrossRef
- Friedman, M. 1993. Remarks on the history of science and the history of philosophy. In World changes: Thomas Kuhn and the nature of science, ed. P. Horwich, 37–54. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Fuller, S. 2000. Thomas Kuhn: A philosophical history for our times. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Godfrey-Smith, P. 2003. Theory and reality: An introduction to the philosophy of science. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Hesse, M. 1963. Review of The structure of scientific revolutions by Thomas S Kuhn. Isis 54(2): 286–287. CrossRef
- Hoyningen-Huene, P. 2008. Thomas Kuhn and the chemical revolution. Foundations of Chemistry 10: 101–115. CrossRef
- Hoyningen-Huene, P. 2006. More letters by Paul Feyerabend to Thomas S. Kuhn on proto-structure. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science 37: 610–632.
- Hoyningen-Huene, P., and H. Sankey eds. 2001. Incommensurability and related matters. Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Irzik, G., and T. Grünberg. 1995. Carnap and Kuhn: Arch-enemies of close allies? British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 46: 285–307. CrossRef
- Kindi, V. 2005. The relation of history of science to philosophy of science in The structure of scientific revolutions and Kuhn’s later philosophical work. Perspectives on Science 13(4): 495–530.
- Kourany, J.A. ed. 1998. Scientific knowledge: Basic issues in the philosophy of science, 2nd ed. Belmont CA: Wadsworth.
- Kuhn, T. S. 2000. The road since structure: philosophical essays, 1970–1993, with an autobiographical interview, eds. J. Conant and J. Haugeland. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Kuhn, T.S. 1987. Black-body theory and the quantum discontinuity, 1894–1912. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Lakatos, I., and A. Musgrave eds. 1970. Criticism and the growth of knowledge: Proceedings of the international colloquium in the philosophy of science, London, 1965, Vol. 4, reprinted with corrections. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Lange, M. ed. 2007. Philosophy of science: An anthology. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Laudan, L. 1984. Science and values: The aims of science and their role in scientific debate. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.
- Marx, W., and L. Bornmann. 2010. How accurately does Thomas Kuhn’s model of paradigm change describe the transition from the static view of the universe to the Big Bang theory in cosmology? Scientometrics 84(2): 441–464. CrossRef
- Masterman, M. 1970. The nature of a paradigm, in Lakatos and Musgrave (1970), pp. 59–89.
- Mayr, E. 2004. Do Thomas Kuhn’s scientific revolutions take place?. In What makes biology unique?: Considerations on the autonomy of a scientific discipline, 159–169. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- McGrew, T., M. Alspector-Kelly, and F. Allhoff. 2009. Philosophy of science: An historical anthology. Chichester: Wiley.
- Newton-Smith, W.H. ed. 2000. A companion to the philosophy of science. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Nickles, T. ed. 2003. Thomas Kuhn. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Oberheim, E. 2005. On the historical origins of the contemporary notion of incommensurability: Paul Feyerabend’s assault on conceptual conservativism. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science 36(2): 363–390. CrossRef
- Preston, J. 2004. Bird, Kuhn, and positivism. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science 35: 327–335. CrossRef
- Psillos, S., and M. Curd. 2008. Routledge companion to philosophy of science. London and New York: Routledge.
- Reisch, G.A. 2005. How the cold war transformed philosophy of science. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. CrossRef
- Reisch, G.A. 1991. Did Kuhn kill logical empiricism? Philosophy of Science 58(2): 264–277. CrossRef
- Rothbart, D. 1998. Science, reason, and reality: Issues in the philosophy of science. Forth Worth, TX: Harcourt Brace College Publishers.
- Richardson, A. 2007. The sort of everyday image of logical positivism: Thomas Kuhn and the decline of logical empiricist philosophy of science. In The Cambridge companion to logical empiricism, ed. A. Richardson, and T. Uebel, 346–369. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Sankey, H. 1993. Kuhn’s changing conception of incommensurability. British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 44(4): 759–774. CrossRef
- Sankey, H. 1991. Incommensurability, translation, and understanding. Philosophical Quarterly 41(165): 414–426. CrossRef
- Shapere, D. 1964/1980. Review of The structure of scientific revolutions. In Paradigms and revolutions: Applications and appraisals of Thomas Kuhn’s philosophy of science, ed. G. Gutting. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press.
- Torres, J.M. 2010. On Kuhn’s philosophy and its legacy. Lisbon: Cadernos de Filosofia das Ciências.
- Wray, K.B. 2011. Kuhn’s evolutionary social epistemology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. CrossRef
- Assessing the influence of Kuhn’s Structure of Scientific Revolutions
Volume 21, Issue 1 , pp 1-10
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- K. Brad Wray (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, State University of New York, Oswego, Campus Center, Oswego, NY, 13126, USA