Effect of bainite component morphology on the microstructure of X70 low-alloyed steel on thick plate cold resistance
- S. Yu. Nastich
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effect of controlled rolling and accelerated cooling production parameters on the structure and properties of plates 25 mm thick or more of strength category X70 is studied. A change is shown for the proportion of structural components in steel X70 with a ferrite-bainite microstructure in relation to CR regime. The presence in the steel microstructure of areas of bainitic ferrite, forming at the boundaries of coarse austenite grains as a result of austenite nonuniformity, leads to a reduction in the proportion of ductile component in the fracture of a DWTT specimen. An effect is revealed for an increase in the volume fraction of bainitic ferrite on plate cold brittleness during DWTT. The amount of reduction at the end of the roughing rolling stage should be less than 13–14 % in order to prevent a difference in austenite grain size. CR regimes with limited intensity make it possible to obtain a steel microstructure consisting mainly of quasipolygonal ferrite with a minimum number of areas of bainitic ferrite, which is favorable for steel DWTT properties.
- Khaisterkamp, F, Khulka, K, Matrosov, YuI (1999) Niobium-Containing Low-Alloy Steels [in Russian]. SP Intermet Engineering, Moscow
- V. Schwinn, W. Schuertz, P. Fluess, et al., “Prospects and state of the art of TMCP steel plates for structural and line pipe applications,” Proc. THERMEC 2006 [C], Materials Science Forum, Switzerland (2007), Vols. 539–543, pp. 4726–4731.
- Yu. D. Morozov, M. Yu. Matrosov, S. Yu. B. Nastich, and A. B. Arabei, “High-strength pipe steels of a new generation with a ferrite-bainite structure,” Metallurg, No. 8, 39–42 (2008).
- S. Subramanian, L. Collins, M. Gheng-liang, et al., “Microstructure development for brittle fracture control in Nb microalloyed line pipe steel,” Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on High-Strength Low-Alloy Steels (HSLA Steels’2011), J. Iron Steel Res. Int., 18, Suppl. 1–2, 831–835 (May 2011).
- S.-H. Chon, J.-Y. Yoo, and D.-H. Seo, “Microstructure and mechanical properties of heavy gauge X70 offshore pipeline steels,” Proc. Pipeline Technology Conf., Oct. 12–14, 2009, Ostend, paper No: Ostend2009-054.
- I. Kozasu, C. Ouchi, T. Sampei, and T. Okita, “Rolling as a high-temperature thermomechanical process,” Proc. Microalloying’75 [C], Union carbide Corp., New York (1977).
- A. J. DeArdo, “Modern thermomechanical processing of microalloyed steel: A physical metallurgy perspective,” Proc. Microalloying’95 Conf., June 11–14, 1995, The Iron and Steel Society, Pittsburgh, PA, pp. 15–33.
- Krauss, G, Thompson, SW (1995) Ferritic microstructures in continuous cooled low- and ultralow carbon steels. ISIJ Int. 35: pp. 937-945 CrossRef
- M. A. Smirnov, I. Yu. Pyshmintsev, and A. N. Boryakova, “Classification of low-carbon pipe steel microstructures,” Metallurg, No. 7, 45–51 (2010).
- M. Yu. Matrosov, L. I. Efron, A. A. Kichkina, and I. V. Lyasotskii, “Study of the microstructure of pipe steel microalloyed with niobium after different controlled rolling and accelerated cooling regimes,” MiTOM, No. 3(633), 44–49 (2008).
- Li. Jia-D, Jiang Z-H, Li S.-P, et al., “Continuous cooling transformation behavior and mechanical properties of high strength pipeline steel,” Proc. HSLP 2010 Int. Seminar on Application of High Strength Line Pipe 2010, June 28–29, 2010, Xian, China.
- S. Yu. Nastich, Yu. D. Morozov, M. Yu. Matrosov, et al., “Effect of controlled rolling and accelerated parameters on structure and property formation for thick sheet rolled product of strength class K60,” Proc. 8th Congr. of Rolling Specialists, Oct. 1–15, 2010, Magnitogorsk, MOO Rolling Specialist Society (2010).
- Kim, YM, Kim, SK, Lim, YJ (2002) Influence of microstructures on yield-tensile strength ratio and low-temperature toughness of pipeline steels. ISIJ Int. 42: pp. 1571-1577 CrossRef
- Effect of bainite component morphology on the microstructure of X70 low-alloyed steel on thick plate cold resistance
Volume 56, Issue 3-4 , pp 196-204
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- low-alloy steel
- cold resistance
- controlled rolling
- accelerated cooling
- bainitic ferrite
- quasipolygonal ferrite
- Industry Sectors
- S. Yu. Nastich (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Bardin Central Research Institute of Ferrous Metallurgy (TsNIIchermet), Moscow, Russia