The high stakes of temporality
- Andrea Staiti
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
As the title suggests, Nicolas De Warren’s Husserl and the Promise of Time is an ambitious book. The author not only offers a rigorous reconstruction of Husserl’s phenomenology of time, but also endeavors to articulate what is philosophically promising about it. While careful reconstruction and interpretation of Husserl’s intricate time-analyses can also be found in other monographs and papers—for example, Kortooms 2002, to cite only the most complete one—an original and strong philosophical statement about why these analyses are interesting to philosophize in the present is something this reviewer has found exclusively in De Warren’s book.
It goes without saying that De Warren is not the first phenomenologist to have capitalized on Husserl’s time-analyses. Even a cursory look at the history of phenomenology reveals that virtually every phenomenologist after Husserl was in some way inspired by his work on time-consciousness. Heidegger’s Being and Time or Levinas’s Totality and Infinity ...
- Kern, I (1962) Die drei Wege zur transzendentalphänomenologischen Reduktion in der Philosophie Edmund Husserls. Tijdschrift voor filosofie 24: pp. 303-349
- Kortooms, T (2002) Phenomenology of time. Edmund Husserl’s analysis of time-consciousness. Kluwer, Dordrecht/Boston/London
- Staiti, A (2010) Cartesianischer Weg/Psychologischer Weg/Lebensweltlicher Weg” in H.-H.Gander (ed.). WBG, Husserl Lexikon, Darmstadt
- Staiti, A (2010) The Primacy of the Present. Metaphysical Ballast or Phenomenological Finding?. Research in Phenomenology 40: pp. 34-54 CrossRef
- Staiti, A. 2010c. Überschau and the Givenness of Life in Husserl’s Phenomenology, available online at http://husserlcircle.org/HC_NYC_Proceedings.pdf, 74–85.
- Stern, W. 2005. Mental Presence-Time, The New Yearbook for Phenomenology and Phenomenological Philosophy, vol. 5, 325–351.
- The high stakes of temporality
Continental Philosophy Review
Volume 44, Issue 1 , pp 131-140
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Andrea Staiti (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA, USA