Weak subjectivity, trans-subjectivity and the power of event
- Petr Kouba
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article begins with Gedankenexperiment proposed in The Adventure of Difference by Gianni Vattimo: Following his suggestion to read Heidegger’s fundamental ontology in terms of Nietzsche’s The Birth of the Tragedy, we attempt to reinterpret the distinction of the authentic and inauthentic existence in the light of the difference between the Dionysian and Apollonian element, which brings us also to a new view on the existential finitude, individuality and co-existence with others. In the background of these existential features we discover the notion of event that breaks the ecstatic unity of temporality and marks the hermeneutical continuity of existence by the radical discontinuity. The image of existence exposed to the power of event is further elaborated with the help of Henri Maldiney who has introduced into the frame of the fundamental ontology the concepts of trans-possibility and trans-passibility that express the existential openness to the event. Such a reformulation of the fundamental ontology, however, brings us into the sphere of heteronomous thought that, instead of preserving its essential autonomy, unity and integrity, becomes other in its relation to the otherness that is encountered in the event.
- Boss, Medard. 1975. Grundriss der Medizin und der Psychologie. Ansätze zu einer phänomenologischen Physiologie, Psychologie, Pathologie, Therapie und zu einer daseinsgemässen Präventiv-Medizin in der modernen Industrie-Gesellschaft. 2. ergänzte Auflage. Bern: Hans Huber.
- Dostoyevsky, Fyodor Michailovitch. 2008. Demons (trans: Maguirre, Robert A.). Penguine Books.
- Heidegger, Martin. 1962. Being and time (trans: John Macquarrie, Edward Robinson). San Francisco: Harper.
- Heidegger, Martin. 2000. Elucidations of Hölderlin’s poetry (trans: Hoeller Keith). New York: Humanity Books.
- Laing, Roald David. 1972. The politics of the family and other essay. New York: Vintage Books.
- Laing, Roald David. 1990. The divided self. An existential study in Sanity and Nadnese. Penguin Books.
- Maldiney, Henri. 1985. Art et existence. Paris: Klincksieck.
- Maldiney, Henri. 1991. Penser l’homme et la folie. Grenoble: Jérôme Milion.
- Maldiney, Henri. 2001. Existence. Crise et création. Fougères: Encre Marine.
- Nietzsche, Friedrich. 2000. The birth of tragedy (trans: Smith Douglas). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Nietzsche, Friedrich. 2001. The gay science (trans: Nauckhoff Josefine). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Vattimo, Gianni. 1993. The adventure of diference. Philosophy after Nietzsche and Heidegger (trans: Blamires Cyprian). Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press.
- Weak subjectivity, trans-subjectivity and the power of event
Continental Philosophy Review
Volume 43, Issue 3 , pp 391-406
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Weak subjectivity
- Post-existential analysis
- Petr Kouba (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies, Faculty of Arts, Charles University, Nám. Jana Palacha 2, Praha 1, 110 00, Prague, Czech Republic