Youth with Special Health Care Needs: Transition to Adult Health Care Services
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Transition to adult services for children and youth with special health care needs (CYSHCN) has emerged as an important event in the life course of individuals with disabilities. Issues that interfere with efficient transition to adult health care include the perspectives of stakeholders, age limits on pediatric service, complexity of health conditions, a lack of experienced healthcare professionals in the adult arena, and health care financing for chronic and complex conditions. The purposes of this study were to develop a definition of successful transition and to identify determinants that were associated with a successful transition. The 2007 Survey of Adult Transition and Health dataset was used to select variables to be considered for defining success and for identifying predictors of success. The results showed that a small percentage of young adults who participated in the 2007 survey had experienced a successful transition from their pediatric care.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, (2008). Health Resources and Services Administration, Maternal and Child Health Bureau. The National Survey of Children with Special Health Care Needs Chartbook 2005–2006. Rockville, Maryland: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. http://www.cff.org.
- McLaughlin, S. E., Diener-West, M., Indurkhya, A., Rubin, H., Heckmann, R., & Boyle, M. P. (2008). Improving transition from pediatric to adult cystic fibrosis care: Lessons from a national survey of current practices. Pediatrics, 121(5), e1161–e1166. CrossRef
- Reid, G. J., Irvine, M. J., McCrindle, B. W., Sananes, R., Ritvo, P. G., Siu, S. C., et al. (2004). Prevalence and correlates of successful transfer from pediatric to adult health care among a cohort of young adults with complex congenital heart defects. Pediatrics, 113(3), e197–e205. CrossRef
- Dowshen, N., & D’Angelo, L. (2011). Health care transition for youth living with HIV/AIDS. Pediatrics, 128(4), 762–771. CrossRef
- Shattuck, P. T., Wagner, M., Narendorf, S., Sterzing, P., & Hensley, M. (2011). Post–high school service use among young adults with an autism spectrum disorder. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 165(2), 141–146. doi:10.1001/archpediatrics.2010.279. CrossRef
- Watson, R., Parr, J. R., Joyce, C., May, C., & LeCouteur, A. S. (2011). Models of transitional care for young people with complex health needs: A scoping review. Child: Care, Health and Development, 37(6), 780–791. CrossRef
- Schwartz, L. A., Tuchman, L. K., Hobbie, W. L., & Ginsberg, J. P. (2011). A social-ecological model of readiness for transition to adult-oriented care for adolescents and young adults with chronic health conditions. Child: Care, Health and Development, 37(6), 883–895. CrossRef
- Tuchman, L. K., Slap, G. B., & Britto, M. T. (2008). Transition to adult care: Experiences and expectations of adolescents with chronic illness. Child: Care, Health and Development, 34(5), 557–563. CrossRef
- Reiss, J. G., Gibson, R. W., & Walker, L. R. (2005). Health care transitions: Youth, family, and provider perspectives. Pediatrics, 115(1), 112–120.
- Tuchman, L. K., Schwartz, L. A., Sawicki, G. S., & Britto, M. T. (2010). Cystic fibrosis and transition to adult care. Pediatrics, 125(3), 566–573. CrossRef
- Peter, N. G., Forke, C. M., Ginsburg, K. R., & Schwartz, D. F. (2009). Transition from pediatric to adult care: Internists’ perspectives. Pediatrics, 123(2), 417–423. CrossRef
- O’Connor, K. S., Brooks, K. S., Nysse-Carris, K. L., Skalland, B. J., Sipulski, E. T., Costanzo, D. M. (2011). Design and operation of the survey of adult transition and health, 2007. National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Health Stat 1, (52), 1–85.
- Kennedy, A., & Sawyer, S. (2008). Transition from pediatric to adult services: Are we getting it right? Curr Opinion in Pediatrics, 20(4), 403–409. CrossRef
- Auger, N., Authier, M. A., Martinez, J., & Daniel, M. (2009). The association between rural-urban continuum, maternal education and adverse birth outcomes in Québec, Canada. Journal of Rural Health Fall, 25(4), 342–351. CrossRef
- Lykens, K. A., Fulda, K. G., Bae, S., & Singh, K. P. (2009). Differences in risk factors for children with special health care needs (CSHCN) receiving needed specialty care by socioeconomic status. BMC Pediatrics, 9, 48. doi:10.1186/1471-2431-9-48. CrossRef
- Yu, J. W., Adams, S. H., Burns, J., Brindis, C. D., & Irwin, C. E., Jr. (2008). Use of mental health counseling as adolescents become young adults. Journal of Adolescent Health, 43(3), 268–276. CrossRef
- Sawicki, G. S., Lukens-Bull, K., Yin, X., Demars, N., Huang, I., Livingood, W., et al. (2011). Measuring the transition readiness of youth with special healthcare needs: Validation of the TRAQ—transition readiness assessment questionnaire. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 36(2), 160–171. CrossRef
- van Staa, A., Van der Stege, H. A., Jedeloo, S., Moll, H. A., & Hilberink, S. R. (2011). Readiness to transfer to adult care of adolescents with chronic conditions: Exploration of associated factors. Journal of Adolescent Health, 48(3), 295–302. CrossRef
- Yu, S. M., Bellamy, H. A., Kogan, M. D., Dunbar, J. L., Schwalberg, R. H., & Schuster, M. A. (2002). Factors that influence receipt of recommended preventive pediatric health and dental care. Pediatrics, 110(6), e73. CrossRef
- Singh, S. P., Paul, M., Ford, T., Kramer, T., Weaver, T., McLaren, S., et al. (2010). Process, outcome and experience of transition from child to adult mental healthcare: Multiperspective study. British Journal of Psychiatry, 197(4), 305–312. doi:10.1192/bjp.bp.109.075135. CrossRef
- Betz, C. L. (2006). Parent-professional partnerships: Bridging the disparate worlds of children, families, and professionals. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 21(5), 333–336. CrossRef
- Griffin, S. J., Kinmouth, A., Veltman, M. W. M., Gillard, S., Grant, J., & Stewart, M. (2004). Effect on health-related outcomes of interventions to alter the interaction between patients and practitioners: A systematic review of trials. Annals of Family Medicine, 2(6), 595–608. CrossRef
- Callahan, S. T., Winitzer, R. F., Feinstein, M. S., & Keenan, P. (2001). Transition from pediatric to adult-oriented health care: A challenge for patients with chronic disease. Current Opinion in Pediatrics, 13(4), 310–316. CrossRef
- Grosse, S. D., Schechter, M. S., Kulkarni, R., Lloyd-Puryear, M. A., Strickland, B., & Trevathan, E. (2009). Models of comprehensive multidisciplinary care for individuals in the United States with genetic disorders. Pediatrics, 123(1), 407–412. doi:10.1542/peds.2007-2875. CrossRef
- Foster, L., & Holmes, Y. (2007). Transition from paediatric to adult service in epidermolysis bullosa. British Journal of Nursing, 16(4), 244–246.
- Jalkut, M. K., & Allen, P. J. (2009). Transition from pediatric to adult health care for adolescents with congenital heart disease: A review of the literature and clinical implications. Pediatric Nursing, 35(6), 381–387.
- Youth with Special Health Care Needs: Transition to Adult Health Care Services
Maternal and Child Health Journal
Volume 17, Issue 10 , pp 1744-1752
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Adult health
- Industry Sectors