NCLB and California’s English language learners: The perfect storm
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We argue here that the combination of U.S. federal education policy as embodied in the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 with the passage of a California state initiative that required that “nearly all classroom instruction [be] in English … for a period not normally intended to exceed one year” in 1998 created a “perfect storm” for English Learners. English Learners are thus provided inadequate and incomprehensible academic instruction. Federal law, meanwhile, requires that all students, even if they do not speak English, be tested annually in English for academic progress, and their schools be sanctioned if progress is not sufficient. Whether such demands can legitimately be made on schools is an unsettled issue across the United States. California’s case should serve as an example to others that forcing students to be assessed in a language they do not fully comprehend violates principles of social justice wherever it is practiced.
- Abedi, J., Courtney, M., & Leon, S. (2003). Effectiveness and validity of accommodations for English language learners in large-scale assessments (CSE Tech. Rep. No. 608). Los Angeles: University of California, National Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards, and Student Testing.
- Abedi, J., Courtney, M., Mirocha, J., Leon, S., & Goldberg, J. (2005). Language accommodations for English language learners in large-scale assessments: Bilingual dictionaries and linguistic modification (CSE Tech. Rep. No. 666). Los Angeles: University of California, National Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards, and Student Testing.
- Abedi, J., & Gándara, P. (2006). Performance of English language learners as a subgroup in large-scale assessment: Interaction of research and policy. Educational Measurement Issues and Practice, 25, 36–46. CrossRef
- Adger, C., Snow, C., & Christian, D. (2002). What teachers need to know about language. Washington DC: Center for Applied Linguistics.
- Banchero, S. (2007). Limited English kids face a tougher test. Chicago Tribune, November 9, 2007. Downloaded November 10, 2007: www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-image_09nov09,1,1769471.story.
- Berliner, D., & Nichols, S. (2007). High stakes testing is putting the nation at risk. Education Week, 26(27), 36, 48.
- California Department of Education. (2007). Fact book 2007: Handbook of education information, 2007. Available at: www.cde.ca.gov/re/pn/fb/documents/factbook2007.pdf.
- Center for the Future of Teaching and Learning. (2005). The status of the teaching Profession in California. Santa Cruz: CFTL. Available at: www.cftl.org.
- Coachella Valley USD et al. v. State of California et al., SF Superior Court Case No. 505334.
- Educational Testing Service. (2004). California Standardized Testing Program, Technical Manual.
- Edward, H. (2007). Declaration in Support of Plaintiff’s Motion for Issuance of Writ of Mandate, in Coachella Valley Unified School District et al v. State of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger et al, April 23, 2007.
- Gándara, P. (2000). In the aftermath of the storm: English Learners in the Post-227 Era. Bilingual Research Journal, 24, Accessed Dec. 13, 2006 at: http://brj.asu.edu/v2412/articles/art2.html.
- Gándara, P., & Maxwell-Jolly, J. (2005). Critical issues in the development of the teacher corps for English Learners. In H. Waxman & K. Tellez (Eds.), Preparing quality teachers for English language learners. Mahweh, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Press.
- Gándara, P., Maxwell-Jolly, J., & Driscoll, A. (2006). Listening to teachers of English Learners. Santa Cruz: Center for the Future of Teaching Learning. Available at: www.cft.org.
- Gándara, P., Rumberger, R., Maxwell-Jolly, J., & Callahan, R. (2003). English Learners in California Schools: Unequal resources, unequal outcomes. Education Policy Analysis Archives, 11(36). Retrieved June 14, 2006 from: http://epaa.asu.edu/epaa/v11n36/.
- Gándara, P., & Rumberger, R. (forthcoming). Defining an adequate education for English Learners. Education Finance and Policy, forthcoming.
- Garcia, E., & Curry-Rodriguez, J. (2000). The education of limited English proficient students in California Schools: An assessment of the influence of Proposition 227 on selected districts and schools. Bilingual Research Journal, 24(1–2), 15–35. Available at: http://epaa.asu.edu/epaa/v11n26/.
- Genesee, F., Lindholm-Leary, K., Saunders, W., & Christian, D. (2006). Educating English language learners: A synthesis of research evidence. NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Glod, M., & Chandler, M. A. (2007). North Virginia Schools Set Back on “No Child” Test Goals. Washington Post, August 24, 2007. Downloaded November 12, 2007: www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/23/AR2007082300846_pf.html.
- Goldenberg, C. (2006). Improving achievement for English Learners. What the research tells us. Education Week, 25(43), 34–36.
- Gutierrez, K., Baquedano-Lopez, P., & Asato, J. (2000). English for the children: The new literacy of the old world order, language policy and educational reform. Bilingual Research Journal, 24. Accessed Dec. 13, 2006 at: http://brj.asu.edu/v2412/articles/art7.html.
- Huffman, P. C., & Samulon, M. (1981). Case studies of delivery and cost of bilingual education: A rand note. Santa Monica, California: The Rand Corporation, 1981.
- Human Resources Research Organization. (2007). Annual independent evaluation of CAHSEE. Alexandria, VA: HUMRRO.
- Interview with Foch “Tut” Pensis, Superintendent of Coachella Valley Unified School District, November 7th, 2007.
- Jacobellis v. Ohio, 378 U.S. 184 (1964).
- Maxwell-Jolly, L. (2000). Factors influencing implementation of mandated policy change: Proposition 227 in Seven Northern California School Districts. Bilingual Research Journal, 24(1−2), Winter & Spring. Available at: http://brj.asu.edu/v2412/pdf/ar4.pdf.
- McMurrer, J. (2007). Choices, changes, and challenges: Curriculum and instruction in the NCLB era. Washington DC: Center for Education Policy.
- Memorandum to State Board Members, September 25th, page CDE 1701.
- Parrish, T., Merickel, A., Perz, M., Linquanti, R., Socias, M., Spain, A., Speroni, C., Esra, P., Brock, L., & Delancey, D. (2006). Effects of the implementation of Proposition 227 on the education of English Learners, K-12; findings from a five-year evaluation. Washington, D.C.: American Institutes for Research. Proposition 227 of 1998, Full Text of the Proposed Law available at: http://primary98.sos.ca.gov/VoterGuide/Propositions/227text.htm.
- Proposition 227 of 1998, Full Text of the Proposed Law available at: http://primary98.sos.ca.gov/VoterGuide/Propositions/227text.htm.
- Public Education Network. (2003). An action guide for community and parent leaders: Using NCLB to improve student achievement.
- Ramirez, J. D. (1992). Executive summary. Bilingual Research Journal, 16(1−2), 62.
- Ravitch, D. (2007). New York Times Op. Ed. Column, October 3, 2007. Downloaded October 3, 2007 at: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/03/opinion/03ravitch.html.
- Rogers, J., Holme, J., & Silver, D. (2006). More questions than answers: CAHSEE results, opportunity to learn, & the class of 2006. Los Angeles: UCLA/IDEA Publications. Available at: http://www.idea.gseis.ucla.edu/resources/exitexam/pdfs/IDEA-CAHSEEff.pdf.
- State of California, Department of Education, Last Minute Memorandum to State Board Members, Subject: Testing Policies for English Learners Students, October 8, 2002.
- Supplemental Memorandum of the State Board of Education, September 25, 2002, Testing Policies for English Learners. CDE 1694.
- Wright, W., & Choi, D. (2006). The impact of language and high-stakes testing policies on elementary school English language learners in Arizona. Education Policy Analysis, 14, 13. http://www.Epaa.asu.edu/epaa/v14n13/. Retrieved November 5, 2007.
- Zehr, M. A. (2007). NCLB seen as a damper on bilingual programs: Some states and districts say testing requirements may discourage efforts. Education Week, online May 8, 2007.
- NCLB and California’s English language learners: The perfect storm
Volume 7, Issue 3 , pp 201-216
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Bilingual education
- English Learners
- English language learners
- Proposition 227