Rationally Functional Dependence
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Two different types of functional dependencies are compared: dependencies that are functional due to the laws of nature and dependencies that are functional if all involved agents behave rationally. The first type of dependencies was axiomatized by Armstrong. This article gives a formal definition of the second type of functional dependencies in terms of strategic games and describes a sound and complete axiomatization of their properties. The axiomatization is significantly different from the Armstrong’s axioms.
- Armstrong, W.W. (1974). Dependency structures of data base relationships. In Information processing 74 (Proc. IFIP Congress, Stockholm, 1974) (pp. 580–583). North-Holland, Amsterdam.
- Beeri, C., Fagin, R., Howard, J.H. (1977). A complete axiomatization for functional and multivalued dependencies in database relations. In SIGMOD ’77: Proceedings of the 1977 ACM SIGMOD international conference on management of data (pp. 47–61). New York, NY: ACM. CrossRef
- Garcia-Molina, H., Ullman, J., Widom, J. (2009). Database systems: The complete book, 2nd edn. Upper Saddle River: Prentice-Hall.
- Grossi, D., & Turrini, P. (2012). Dependence in games and dependence games. Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems, 25(2), 284–312. CrossRef
- More, S.M., & Naumov, P. (2011). The functional dependence relation on hypergraphs of secrets. In J. Leite, P. Torroni, T. Ågotnes, G. Boella, L. van der Torre (Eds.), CLIMA, Lecture notes in computer science (Vol. 6814, pp. 29–40). New York: Springer.
- Naumov, P., & Nicholls, B. (2011). Game semantics for the Geiger-Paz-Pearl axioms of independence.. In The third international workshop on logic, rationality and interaction (LORI-III), LNAI 6953 (pp. 220–232). New York: Springer.
- Rationally Functional Dependence
Journal of Philosophical Logic
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links