Reinflating Logical Consequence
- Owen Griffiths
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Shapiro (Philos Q 61:320–342, 2011) argues that, if we are deflationists about truth, we should be deflationists about logical consequence. Like the truth predicate, he claims, the logical consequence predicate is merely a device of generalisation and more substantial characterisation, e.g. proof- or model-theoretic, is mistaken. I reject his analogy between truth and logical consequence and argue that, by appreciating how the logical consequence predicate is used as well as the goals of proof theory and model theory, we can be deflationists about truth but not logical consequence.
- Beall, J. (2009). Spandrels of truth. Oxford: OUP. CrossRef
- Beall, J., & Murzi, J. (2012). Two flavors of Curry paradox. The Journal of Philosophy, forthcoming.
- Beall, J., & Restall, G. (2006). Logical pluralism. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- Boolos, G. (1975). On second-order logic. Journal of Philosophy, 72, 509–527. CrossRef
- Etchemendy, J. (1990). The concept of logical consequence. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Etchemendy, J. (2008). Reflections on consequence. In D. Patterson (Ed.), New essays on Tarski and philosophy (pp. 263–299). Oxford: Clarendon Press. CrossRef
- Field, H. (2008). Saving truth from paradox. Oxford: OUP. CrossRef
- Field, H. (2009). What is the normative role of logic? Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society, 83, 251–268. CrossRef
- Horsten, L. (2011). The Tarskia turn: Deflationism and axiomatic truth. Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Kripke, S. (1975). Outline of a theory of truth. Journal of Philosophy, 72, 690–716. CrossRef
- Priest, G. (2006). In contradiction (2nd ed.) Oxford: Clarendon Press. CrossRef
- Prior, A.N. (1971). Objects of thought. Oxford: Clarendon Press. CrossRef
- Quine, W. (1980). Grammar, truth, and logic. In S. Kanger, & S. Öhman (Eds.), Philosophy and grammar (pp. 17–28). Dordrecht: D. Reidel. CrossRef
- Shapiro, L. (2011). Deflating logical consequence. The Philosophical Quarterly, 61, 320–342. CrossRef
- Shapiro, S. (2005). Logical consequence, proof theory, and model theory. In S. Shapiro (Ed.), The Oxford handbook of philosophy of mathematics and logic (pp. 651–670). New York: OUP. CrossRef
- Smiley, T. (1958). Entailment and deducibility. Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society, 59, 233–254.
- Tarski, A. (1936). On the concept of logical consequence. In Logic, semantics, metamathematics (2nd ed., pp. 409–420). Indianapolis: Hackett. Trans. J. Woodger.
- van Bentham, J. (2011). The dynamic world of Martin Stokhof. In C. Dutilh Novaes, & J. van der Does (Eds.), Festschrift for Martin Stokhof.
- Wright, C. (1999). Truth: a traditional debate reviewed. In S. Blackburn, & K. Simmons (Eds.), Truth (pp. 203–238). Oxford: OUP.
- Reinflating Logical Consequence
Journal of Philosophical Logic
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Logical consequence
- Model theory
- Proof theory
- Owen Griffiths (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Philosophy, University of Cambridge, Sidgwick Avenue, Cambridge, CB3 9DA, UK