Partially Undetermined Many-Valued Events and Their Conditional Probability
- Franco Montagna
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A logic for classical conditional events was investigated by Dubois and Prade. In their approach, the truth value of a conditional event may be undetermined. In this paper we extend the treatment to many-valued events. Then we support the thesis that probability over partially undetermined events is a conditional probability, and we interpret it in terms of bets in the style of de Finetti. Finally, we show that the whole investigation can be carried out in a logical and algebraic setting, and we find a logical characterization of coherence for assessments of partially undetermined events.
- Aguzzoli, S., Gerla, B., & Marra, V. (2008). De Finetti’s no Dutch-book criterion for Gödel logic. Studia Logica, 90, 25–41. CrossRef
- Blok, W., & Pigozzi, D. (1989). Algebraizable logics. In Memoirs of the American Mathematical Society (Vol. 396(77)). Providence: American Mathematical Society.
- Burris, S., & Sankappanavar, H. P. (1981). A course in universal algebra. New York: Springer. CrossRef
- Busaniche, M., & Cignoli, R. (2009). Residuated lattices as an algebraic semantics for paraconsistent Nelson’s logic. Journal of Logic and Computation, 19(6), 1019–1029. CrossRef
- Canny, F. J. (1988). Some algebraic and geometric computation in PSPACE. In Proc. 20th ACM symp. on theory of computing (pp. 460–467).
- Chang, C. C. (1989). A new proof of the completeness of Łukasiewicz axioms. Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, 93, 74–80.
- Cintula, P. (2006). Weakly implicative (fuzzy) logics I: Basic properties. Archive for Mathematical Logic, 45, 673–704. CrossRef
- Coletti, G., & Scozzafava, R. (2002). Probabilistic logic in a coherent setting. Dordrecht: Kluwer. CrossRef
- Czelakowski, J. (2001). Protoalgebraic logics. Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Dubois, D., & Prade, H. (1994). Conditional objects as nonmonotonic consequence relations. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 24(12), 1724–1740. IEEE. CrossRef
- Flaminio, T., & Montagna, F. (2009). MV algebras with internal states and probabilistic fuzzy logics. International Journal of Approximate Reasoning, 50(1), 138–152. CrossRef
- Hájek, P. (1998). Metamathematics of fuzzy logic. Dordrecht: Kluwer. CrossRef
- Kroupa, T. (2006). Every state on a semisimple MV algebra is integral. Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 157(20), 2771–2787. CrossRef
- Kroupa, T. (2005). Conditional probability on MV-algebras. Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 149(2), 369–381. CrossRef
- Kühr, J., & Mundici, D. (2007). De Finetti theorem and Borel states in [0,1]-valued algebraic logic. International Journal of Approximate Reasoning, 46(3), 605–616. CrossRef
- Montagna, F. (2000). An algebraic approach to propositional fuzzy logic. Journal of Logic, Language and Information, 9, 91–124. CrossRef
- Montagna, F. (2005). Subreducts of MV algebras with product and product residuation. Algebra Universalis, 53, 109–137. CrossRef
- Montagna, F. (2009). A notion of coherence for books on conditional events in many-valued logic. Journal of Logic and Computation. doi:10.1093/logcom/exp061. First published online: 17 September 2009.
- Mundici, D. (1995). Averaging the truth value in Łukasiewicz logic. Studia Logica, 55(1), 113–127. CrossRef
- Mundici, D. (2006). Bookmaking over infinite-valued events. International Journal of Approximate Reasoning, 46, 223–240. CrossRef
- Mundici, D. (2008). Faithful and invariant conditional probability in Łukasiewicz logic. In D. Makinson, J. Malinowski, & H. Wansing (Eds.), Trends in logic 27: Towards mathematical philosophy (pp. 1–20). Springer.
- Panti, G. (2008). Invariant measures in free MV algebras. Communications in Algebra, 36, 2849–2861. CrossRef
- Papadimitriu, C. H. (1994). Computational complexity. Addison-Wesley.
- Paris, J. B. (2001). A note on the Dutch Book Method. In T. S. Gert De Cooman, & T. Fine (Eds.), ISIPTA ’01, Proceedings of the second international symposium on imprecise probabilities and their applications, Ithaca, NY, USA. Shaker.
- Sendlewski, A. (1990). Nelson algebras through Heyting ones, I. Studia Logica, 49, 105–126. CrossRef
- Tsinakis, C., & Wille, A. (2006). Minimal varieties of involutive residuated lattices. Studia Logica, 83, 407–423. CrossRef
- Partially Undetermined Many-Valued Events and Their Conditional Probability
Journal of Philosophical Logic
Volume 41, Issue 3 , pp 563-593
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Many-valued logic
- Conditional probability
- Franco Montagna (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Siena, Pian dei Mantellini 44, 5100, Siena, Italy