ALTERNATIVE AXIOMATICS AND COMPLEXITY OF DELIBERATIVE STIT THEORIES
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We propose two alternatives to Xu’s axiomatization of Chellas’s STIT. The first one simplifies its presentation, and also provides an alternative axiomatization of the deliberative STIT. The second one starts from the idea that the historic necessity operator can be defined as an abbreviation of operators of agency, and can thus be eliminated from the logic of Chellas’s STIT. The second axiomatization also allows us to establish that the problem of deciding the satisfiability of a STIT formula without temporal operators is NP-complete in the single-agent case, and is NEXPTIME-complete in the multiagent case, both for the deliberative and Chellas’s STIT.
- Blackburn, P., de Rijke, M. and Venema, Y: Modal Logic. Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- Balbiani, P., Gasquet, O., Herzig, A., Schwarzentruber, F. and Troquard, N. Coalition games over Kripke semantics: expressiveness and complexity, in Dégremont, C, Keiff, L. and Rückert, H. (eds.), Festschrift in Honour of Shahid Rahman. College Publications, 2008, in press.
- Broersen, J., Herzig, A., Troquard, N. Normal Coalition Logic and its conformant extension. In: Samet, D. eds. (2007) Theoretical Aspects of Rationality and Knowledge (TARK). Presses universitaires de Louvain, Brussels, pp. 91-101
- Belnap, N., Perloff, M. and Xu, M.: Facing the Future: agents and choices in our indeterminist world. Oxford, 2001.
- Chellas, B.: The Logical Form of Imperatives. PhD thesis, Philosophy Department, Stanford University, 1969.
- Chellas, B. (1992) Time and modality in the logic of agency. Studia Logica 51: pp. 485-518 CrossRef
- Dégremont, C.: Dialogical Deliberative Stit. Master’s thesis, Philosophy Department, University of Lille 3, 2006.
- Gabbay, D., Kurucz, A., Wolter, F. and Zakharyaschev, M.: Many-Dimensional Modal Logics: Theory and Applications. Number 148 in Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics. Elsevier, North-Holland, 2003.
- Horty, J., Belnap, N. (1995) The deliberative stit: A study of action, omission, and obligation. Journal of Philosophical Logic 24: pp. 583-644 CrossRef
- Marx, M. (1999) Complexity of products of modal logics. Journal of Logic and Computation 9: pp. 221-238 CrossRef
- Marx, M., Mikulas, S. (2001) Products, or how to create modal logics of high complexity. Logic Journal of the IGPL 9: pp. 77-88 CrossRef
- Pauly, M. (2002) A modal logic for coalitional power in games. Journal of Logic and Computation 12: pp. 149-166 CrossRef
- Troquard, N:. Independent agents in branching time: towards a unified framework for reasoning about multiagent systems. PhD thesis, Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse and Università degli studi di Trento, July 2007.
- Wansing, H.: Tableaux for multi-agent deliberative-STIT logic, in Governatori, G., Hodkinson, I. and Venema, Y. (eds.), Advances in Modal Logic, Volume 6. King’s College Publications, 2006, pp. 503–520.
- Wölfl, S. (2002) Propositional Q-logic. Journal of Philosical Logic 31: pp. 387-414 CrossRef
- Xu, M. (1998) Axioms for deliberative STIT. Journal of Philosophical Logic 27: pp. 505-552 CrossRef
- ALTERNATIVE AXIOMATICS AND COMPLEXITY OF DELIBERATIVE STIT THEORIES
Journal of Philosophical Logic
Volume 37, Issue 4 , pp 387-406
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- logic of agency