Exploring the World of the Second and Third Tier Men in the Holocaust: The Interrogation of Friedrich Jeckeln: Engineer and Executioner
- G. H. Bennett
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Friedrich Jeckeln as Higher SS and Police Fuehrer for South Russia in 1941, and then North Russia from 1941 to 1944, was a key player in the development of the Holocast in the occupied Soviet Union. This article explores his career and motivations through the medium of his interrogation reports. Those interrogations were conducted by the NKVD from December 1945 to January 1946. They formed a key part in the development of a case against Jeckeln for involvement in crimes against the Soviet people. Using a variety of coercive techniques Jeckeln’s captors forced him to confront the enormity of his crimes. He was brought before a court and executed on the same day in February 1946.
- Aly, G., and S. Heim. 2002. Architects of annihilation: Auschwitz and the logic of destruction. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Bennett, G.H. 2011. The 1942 Laconia Order, the murder of shipwrecked survivors and the allied pursuit of justice 1945–46. Law Crime and History 1(1): 16–34.
- Birn, R.B. 1986. Die Hoheren SS- und Polizeifuhrer. Himmlers Vertreter im Reich und in den besetzten Gebieten. Düsseldorf: Droste.
- Förster, J. 1998. Operation Barbarossa as a war of conquest and annihilation. The attack on the Soviet Union, 4. Oxford: Clarendon.
- Friedrich, Jeckeln. SS-Personalakte, U.S. National Archives, Berlin Document Center Records, A-3343.
- Friedrich, Jeckeln. Interrogation, December 1945–January 1946. United States Holocaust Memorial Museum RG-06.025*01 Riga, 1945-1946 (N-18313, tom 1).
- Kiekenap, B. 2008. SS-Junkerschule: SA und SS in Braunschweig. Braunschweig: Appelhans verlag.
- Matthaüs, J. 1996. What about the “ordinary men”? The German order police and the holocaust in the occupied Soviet Union. Holocaust and Genocide Studies 10(4): 134–150. CrossRef
- Prusin, A.V. 2003. “Fascist criminals to the gallows!”: The holocaust and Soviet war crimes trials, December 1945–February 1946. Holocaust and Genocide Studies 17(1): 1–30. CrossRef
- Smelser, R., and E. Syring. 2003. Die SS: Elite unter dem Totenkopf. Paderborn: Ferdinand Schoeningh.
- Yerger, M.C. 1997. Waffen-SS commanders: The army, corps and divisional leaders of a legend, 1. Atglen, PA: Schiffer Military History.
- Exploring the World of the Second and Third Tier Men in the Holocaust: The Interrogation of Friedrich Jeckeln: Engineer and Executioner
Liverpool Law Review
Volume 32, Issue 1 , pp 1-18
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Friedrich Jeckeln
- War crimes
- Industry Sectors
- G. H. Bennett (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Plymouth, Room 1, 6 Portland Villas, Drake Circus, Plymouth, Devon, PL4 8AA, UK