A squib on anaphora and coindexing
- Reinhard Muskens
- … show all 1 hide
There are two kinds of semantic theories of anaphora. Some, such as Heim’s File Change Semantics, Groenendijk and Stokhof’s Dynamic Predicate Logic, or Muskens’ Compositional DRT (CDRT), seem to require full coindexing of anaphora and their antecedents prior to interpretation. Others, such as Kamp’s Discourse Representation Theory (DRT), do not require this coindexing and seem to have an important advantage here. In this squib I will sketch a procedure that the first group of theories may help themselves to so that they can interleave interpretation and coindexing in DRT’s way.
- Asher N., Lascarides A. (2003) Logics of conversation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Bary, C. (2009). Aspect in ancient Greek: A semantic analysis of the aorist and imperfective. PhD thesis, Radboud University Nijmegen.
- Chomsky N. (1981) Lectures on government and binding. Foris, Dordrecht
- Groenendijk J., Stokhof M. (1991) Dynamic predicate logic. Linguistics and Philosophy 14: 39–100 CrossRef
- Heim, I. (1982). The semantics of definite and indefinite noun phrases. PhD thesis, Umass, Amherst. Published in 1989 by Garland, New York.
- Kamp H., Reyle U. (1993) From discourse to logic. Kluwer, Dordrecht CrossRef
- Marcus. M. P., Hindle, D., & Fleck, M. M. (1983). D-theory: Talking about talking about trees. In Proceedings of the 21st ACL (pp. 129–136).
- Muskens R.A. (1996) Combining montague semantics and discourse representation. Linguistics and Philosophy 19: 143–186 CrossRef
- Reyle U. (1993) Dealing with ambiguities by underspecification: Construction, representation and deduction. Journal of Semantics 10: 123–179 CrossRef
- van Leusen, N. (2007). Description grammar for discourse. PhD thesis, Radboud University Nijmegen.
- van Leusen N., Muskens R. (2003) Construction by description in discourse representation. In: Peregrin J. (Ed.) Meaning: The dynamic turn, volume 12 of current research in the semantics/pragmatics interface. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 33–65
- A squib on anaphora and coindexing
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Linguistics and Philosophy
Volume 34, Issue 1 , pp 85-89
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Reinhard Muskens (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Tilburg University, 5037 AB, Tilburg, The Netherlands