Presuppositions and common ground
- Barbara Abbott
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents problems for Stalnaker’s common ground theory of presupposition. Stalnaker (Linguist and Philos 25:701–721, 2002) proposes a 2-stage process of utterance interpretation: presupposed content is added to the common ground prior to acceptance/rejection of the utterance as a whole. But this revision makes presupposition difficult to distinguish from assertion. A more fundamental problem is that the common ground theory rests on a faulty theory of assertion—that the essence of assertion is to present the content of an utterance as new information. Many examples are presented of utterances which are felicitous but not informative in this way.
- Abbott B. (2000) Presuppositions as nonassertions. Journal of Pragmatics 32: 1419–1437 CrossRef
- Bach K., Harnish R.M. (1979) Linguistic communication and speech acts. MIT Press, Cambridge
- Birner B., Ward G. (1994) Uniqueness, familiarity, and the definite article in English. BLS 20: 93–102
- Burton-Roberts N. (1989) The limits to debate: A revised theory of semantic presupposition. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- von Fintel, K. (2006). What is presupposition accommodation, again? Cambridge: MIT. Available at http://pragmatics.osu.edu/.
- Gazdar G. (1979a) Pragmatics: Implicature, presupposition, and logical form. Academic Press, New York
- Gazdar G. (1979b) A solution to the projection problem. In: Oh C.-K., Dinneen D.A. (eds) Syntax and semantics, volume 11: Presupposition. Academic Press, New York, pp 57–89
- Grice, H. P. (1975). Logic and conversation. In P. Cole & J. L. Morgan (Eds.), Syntax and semantics, volume 3: Speech acts (pp. 41–58). New York: Academic Press (Reprinted in H. Paul Grice, 1989, Studies in the way of words (pp. 22–40). Cambridge: Harvard University Press).
- Grice, H. P. (1981). Presupposition and conversational implicature. In P. Cole (Ed.), Radical pragmatics (pp. 183–198). New York: Academic Press (Page references are to the reprint in H. Paul Grice, 1989, Studies in the way of words (pp. 269–282). Cambridge: Harvard University Press).
- Lewis D. (1979) Scorekeeping in a language game. Journal of Philosophical Logic 8: 339–359 CrossRef
- Malinowski B. (1923) The problem of meaning in primitive languages. In: Ogden C. K., Richards I. A. (eds) The meaning of meaning. Routledge & Kegan Paul, London, pp 451–510
- Prince E.F. (1978) A comparison of wh-clefts and it-clefts in discourse. Language 54: 883–906 CrossRef
- Simons M. (2003) Presupposition and accommodation: Understanding the Stalnakerian picture. Philosophical Studies 112(3): 251–278 CrossRef
- Simons, M. (2006). Presupposition without common ground. Pittsburgh: Carnegie Mellon University. Available at http://www.hss.cmu.edu/philosophy/faculty-simons.php.
- Simons M. (2007) Observations on embedding verbs, evidentiality, and presupposition. Lingua 117(6): 1034–1056 CrossRef
- Soames, S. (1982). How presuppositions are inherited: A solution to the projection problem. Linguistic Inquiry, 13, 483–545 (References are to the reprint in S. Davis (Ed.), 1991, Pragmatics: A reader (pp. 428–470). Oxford: Oxford University Press.)
- Soukhanov, A. (eds) (1992) The American heritage dictionary of the English language, 3rd edn. Houghton Mifflin, Boston
- Stalnaker R.C. (1973) Presuppositions. Journal of Philosophical Logic 2: 447–457 CrossRef
- Stalnaker, R. C. (1974). Pragmatic presuppositions. In M. K. Munitz & P. K. Unger (Eds.), Semantics and philosophy (197–214). New York: New York University Press (References are to the reprint in S. Davis (Ed.), 1991, Pragmatics: A reader (pp. 471–482). Oxford: Oxford University Press.)
- Stalnaker R.C. (1978) Assertion. In: Cole P. (eds) Syntax and semantics, volume 9: Pragmatics. Academic Press, New York, pp 315–322
- Stalnaker, R. C. (1998). On the representation of context. Journal of Logic, Language, and Information, 7 (Reprinted in R. C. Stalnaker, 1999, Context and content (pp. 96–113). Oxford: Oxford University Press.)
- Stalnaker R.C. (2002) Common ground. Linguistics and Philosophy 25: 701–721 CrossRef
- Szabó, Z.G. (2006). Comments on Kai von Fintel’s paper [What is presupposition accommodation, again?]. New Haven: Yale University. Available at http://pragmatics.osu.edu/.
- Presuppositions and common ground
Linguistics and Philosophy
Volume 31, Issue 5 , pp 523-538
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Barbara Abbott (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Linguistics and Languages, Department of Philosophy, Michigan State University, 6339 E. Horn Rd., Lake Leelanau, MI, 49653-9708, USA