Differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) in multiple W/O/W emulsions
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Multiple water-in-oil-in-water (W/O/W) emulsions offer a huge potential as encapsulation systems in different food, cosmetic, and pharmaceutical applications. Because of their complex structure, however, it is difficult to characterize these systems. Typical measurement techniques to determine the size and stability of the inner water droplets encapsulated in the oil droplets show limitations and inaccuracies. Determining the total amount of water in the inner droplets is most often done by indirect methods to date. We describe an analytical method based on differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) for characterizing the total amount of encapsulated water droplets and their stability in W/O/W multiple emulsions. It uses the possibility to directly determine the latent heat of freezing of water droplets of the same size and composition as in the multiple emulsions. The amount of water in the inner droplets of a W/O/W emulsion can thus be calculated very accurately. It is shown that this method enables furthermore detecting multi-modalities in the size distribution of inner water droplets in W/O/W emulsions. Changes in droplet size distribution of the inner droplets occurring during the second emulsification step of processing or during storage can be detected. DSC thus offers a powerful tool to characterize the structure of multiple W/O/W emulsions.
- Stroeve P, Varanasi PP. Transport processes in liquid membranes: double emulsion separation systems. Sep Purif Rev. 1982;11(1):29–69. CrossRef
- Garti N, Benichou A. Double emulsions for controlled release applications—progress and trends. In: Sjoblom J, editor. Encyclopedic handbook of emulsions technology. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc; 2011. p. 377–408.
- Garti N. Progress in stabilization and transport phenomena of double emulsions in food applications. Food Sci Technol Leb. 1997;30(3):222–35.
- Marti-Mestres G, Nielloud F. Emulsions in health care applications—an overview. J Disper Sci Technol. 2002;23(1–3):419–39.
- Florence AT, Jenkins AW, Loveless AH. Effect of formulation of intramuscular injections of phenothiazines on duration of activity. J Pharm Sci. 1976;65(11):1665–8. CrossRef
- Benoy CJ, Schneide R, Elson LA. Multiple emulsions, a suitable vehicle to provide sustained release of cancer chemotherapeutic agents. Brit J Pharmacol. 1972;45(1):135–6. CrossRef
- Lobato-Calleros C, Sosa-Perez A, Rodriguez-Tafoya J, Sandoval-Castilla O, Perez-Alonso C, Vemon-Carter EJ. Structural and textural characteristics of reduced-fat cheese-like products made from W-1/O/W-2 emulsions and skim milk. Food Sci Technol Leb. 2008;41(10):1847–56.
- Mezzenga R, Folmer BM, Hughes E. Design of double emulsions by osmotic pressure tailoring. Langmuir. 2004;20(9):3574–82. CrossRef
- Wen LX, Papadopoulos KD. Visualization of water transport in W-1/O/W-2 emulsions. Colloid Surf A. 2000;174(1–2):159–67. CrossRef
- Cheng J, Chen JF, Luo Q, Wen LX, Papadopoulos KD. Transport of ions through the oil phase of W-1/O/W-2 double emulsions. J Colloid Interf Sci. 2007;305(1):175–82. CrossRef
- Schuster S, Bernewitz R, Guthausen G, Zapp J, Greiner AM, Köhler K, Schuchmann HP. Analysis of W1/O/W2 double emulsions with CLSM: statistical image processing for droplet size distribution. Chem Eng Sci. 2012;81:84–90. CrossRef
- Fridjonsson EO, Flux LS, Johns ML. Determination of mean droplet sizes of water-in-oil emulsions using an Earth’s field NMR instrument. J Magn Reson. 2012;221:97–102. CrossRef
- Guan X, Hailu K, Guthausen G, Wolf F, Bernewitz R, Schuchmann HP. PFG-NMR on W1/O/W2-emulsions: evidence for molecular exchange between water phases. Eur J Lipid Sci Tech. 2010;112(8):828–37. CrossRef
- Fechner A, Knoth A, Scherze I, Muschiolik G. Stability and release properties of double-emulsions stabilised by caseinate-dextran conjugates. Food Hydrocolloid. 2006;21:943–52. CrossRef
- Zatz JL, Cueman GH. Assessment of stability in water-in-oil-in-water multiple emulsions. J Soc Cosmet Chem. 1988;39(3):211–22.
- Dickinson E, Evison J, Owusu R, Zhu Q. Studies of water-in-oil-in-water (W/O/W) multiple emulsions: stabilization and controlled nutrient release. Roy Soc Ch. 1993;113:276–9.
- Regan JO, Mulvihill DM. Water soluble inner aqueous phase markers as indicators of the encapsulation properties of water-in-oil-in-water emulsions stabilized with sodium caseinate. Food Hydrocolloid. 2009;23(8):2339–45. CrossRef
- de Cindio B, Grasso G, Cacace D. Water-in-oil-in-water double emulsions for food applications: yield analysis and rheological properties. Food Hydrocolloid. 1991;4(5):339–53. CrossRef
- Schmidts T, Dobler D, Guldan AC, Paulus N, Runkel F. Multiple W/O/W emulsions-using the required HLB for emulsifier evaluation. Colloid Surf A. 2010;372(1–3):48–54. CrossRef
- Dragosavac MM, Holdich RG, Vladisavljevic GT, Sovilj MN. Stirred cell membrane emulsification for multiple emulsions containing unrefined pumpkin seed oil with uniform droplet size. J Membr Sci. 2012;393:122–9. CrossRef
- Sela Y, Magdassi S, Garti N. Release of markers from the inner water phase of W/O/W emulsions stabilized by silicone-based polymeric surfactants. J Control Release. 1995;33(1):1–12. CrossRef
- Frank K. Formulieren von Anthocyanen in Doppelemulsionen. Dissertation, München: Dr. Hut; 2012.
- Raynal S, Pezron I, Potier L, Clausse D, Grossiord JL, Seiller M. Study by differential scanning calorimetry, rheometry and electroconductimetry of mass transfers at subambient and ambient temperatures in multiple water/oil/water emulsions entrapping MgSO4. Colloid Surf A. 1994;91:191–205. CrossRef
- Jiao J, Burgess DJ. Rheology and stability of water-in-oil-in-water multiple emulsions containing Span 83 and Tween 80. Aaps Pharmsci. 2003;5(1):E7. CrossRef
- Kovacs A, Csoka I, Konya M, Csanyi E, Feher A, Eros I. Structural analysis of w/o/w multiple emulsions by means of DSC. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2005;82(2):491–7. CrossRef
- Clausse D. Differential thermal analysis, differential scanning calorimetry, and emulsions. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2010;101(3):1071–7. CrossRef
- Potier L, Raynal S, Seiller M, Grossiord JL, Clausse D. Study of state transitions within multiple W/O/W emulsions using calorimetry (DSC). Thermochim Acta. 1992;204(1):145–55. CrossRef
- Koop T. Homogeneous ice nucleation in water and aqueous solutions. Z Phys Chem. 2004;218(11–2004):1231–58. CrossRef
- Pruppacher HR. A new look at the homogeneous ice nucleation in supercooled water drops. J Atmos Sci. 1995;52(11):1924–34. CrossRef
- Clausse D. Thermal behaviour of emulsions studied by differential scanning calorimetry. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2005;51(1):191–201. CrossRef
- Montenegro R, Antonietti M, Mastai Y, Landfester K. Crystallization in miniemulsion droplets. J Phys Chem B. 2003;107(21):5088–94. CrossRef
- Clausse D, Gomez F, Dalmazzone C, Noik C. A method for the characterization of emulsions, thermogranulometry: application to water-in-crude oil emulsion. J Colloid Interf Sci. 2005;287(2):694–703. CrossRef
- Magnusson E, Rosén C, Nilsson L. Freeze/thaw stability of mayonnaise type oil-in-water emulsions. Food Hydrocolloid. 2011;25(4):707–15. CrossRef
- Clausse D, Pezron I, Komunjer L. Stability of W/O and W/O/W emulsions as a result of partial solidification. Colloid Surf A. 1999;152(1–2):23–9. CrossRef
- Dickinson E. Double emulsions stabilized by food biopolymers. Food Biophys. 2011;6(1):1–11. CrossRef
- Muguet V, Seiller M, Barratt G, Clausse D, Marty JP, Grossiord JL. W/O/W multiple emulsions submitted to a linear shear flow: correlation between fragmentation and release. J Colloid Interf Sci. 1999;218(1):335–7. CrossRef
- Pays K, Giermanska-Kahn J, Pouligny B, Bibette J, Leal-Calderon F. Double emulsions: how does release occur? J Control Release. 2002;79(1–3):193–205. CrossRef
- Differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) in multiple W/O/W emulsions
Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry
Volume 111, Issue 3 , pp 1881-1890
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Multiple emulsion
- Encapsulation efficiency
- Differential scanning calorimetry (DSC)
- Droplet size distribution
- Industry Sectors