Thermal transitions and dynamics in nanocomposite hydrogels
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Hydrogels based on nanocomposites of statistical poly(hydroxyethyl acrylate-co-ethyl acrylate) and silica, prepared by simultaneous copolymerization and generation of silica nanoparticles by sol–gel process at various copolymer compositions and silica contents, characterized by a fine dispersion of filler, were investigated with respect to glass transition and polymer dynamics by dielectric techniques. These include thermally stimulated depolarization currents and dielectric relaxation spectroscopy, covering together broad ranges of frequency and temperature. In addition, equilibrium water sorption isotherms were recorded at room temperature (25 °C). Special attention was paid to the investigation of effects of silica on glass transition, polymer dynamics (secondary γ and β sw relaxations and segmental α relaxation), and electrical conductivity in the dry systems (xerogels) and in the hydrogels at various levels of relative humidity/water content. An overall reduction of molecular mobility is observed in the nanocomposite xerogels, in particular at high silica contents. Analysis of the results and comparison with previous work on similar systems enable to discuss this reduction of molecular mobility in terms of constraints to polymeric motion imposed by interfacial polymer–filler interactions and by the formation of a continuous silica network interpenetrated with the polymer network at filler contents higher than about 15 wt%.
- Peppas NA, editor. Hydrogels in medicine and pharmacy, vol. I. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press; 1986.
- Stoy V, Kliment C. Hydrogels: speciality plastics for biomedical and pharmaceutical applications. Basel: Technomic; 1996.
- Kyritsis A, Pissis P, Gomez Ribelles JL, Monleon Pradas M. Depolarization thermocurrent studies in poly(hydroxyethyl acrylate)/water hydrogels. J Polym Sci Part B Polym Phys. 1994;32:1001–8. CrossRef
- Kyritsis A, Pissis P, Grammatikakis J. Dielectric relaxation spectroscopy in poly(hydroxyethyl acrylate)/water hydrogels. J Polym Sci Part B Polym Phys. 1995;33:1737–50. CrossRef
- Kyritsis A, Pissis P, Gomez Ribelles JL, Monleon Pradas M. Polymer-water interactions in poly(hydroxyethyl acrylate) hydrogels studied by dielectric, calorimetric and sorption isotherm measurements. Polym Gels Netw. 1995;3:445–69. CrossRef
- Gallego Ferrer G, Monleon Pradas M, Gomez Ribelles JL, Pissis P. Swelling and thermally stimulated depolarization currents in hydrogels formed by interpenetrating polymer networks. J Non-Cryst Solids. 1998;235–237:692–6. CrossRef
- Gomez Ribelles JL, Monleon Pradas M, Gallego Ferrer G, Peidro Torres N, Perez Gimenez V, Pissis P, Kyritsis A. Poly(methyl acrylate)/poly(hydroxyethyl acrylate) sequential interpenetrating polymer networks. Miscibility and wáter sorption behavior. J Polym Sci Part B Polym Phys. 1999;37:1587–99. CrossRef
- Campillo-Fernandez AJ, Salmeron Sanchez M, Sabater i Serra R, Meseguer Duenas JM, Monleon Pradas M, Gomez Ribelles JL. Water-induced (nano) organization in poly(ethyl acrylate-co-hydroxyethyl acrylate) networks. Eur Polym J. 2008;44:1996–2004. CrossRef
- Kyritsis A, Spanoudaki A, Pandis C, Hartmann L, Pelster R, Shinyashiki N, Rodríguez Hernández JC, Gómez Ribelles JL, Monleón Pradas M, Pissis P. Water and polymer dynamics in poly(hydroxyl ethyl acrylate-co-ethyl acrylate) copolymer hydrogels. Eur Polym J. 2011;47:2391–2402. CrossRef
- Haraguchi K. Nanocomposite hydrogels. Curr Opin Solid State Mater Sci. 2007;11:47–54. CrossRef
- Janovák L, Varga J, Kemény L, Dékány I. Swelling properties of copolymer hydrogels in the presence of montmorillonite and alkylammonium montmorillonite. Appl Clay Sci. 2009;43:260–70. CrossRef
- Janovák L, Varga J, Kemény L, Dékány I. The effect of surface modification of layer silicates on the thermoanalytical properties of poly(NIPAAm-co-AAm) based composite hydrogels. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2009;98:485–93. CrossRef
- Rodriguez Hernandez JC, Salmeron Sanchez M, Gomez Ribelles JL, Monleon Pradas M. Polymer-silica nanocomposites prepared by sol–gel technique: nanoindentation and tapping mode AFM studies. Eur Polym J. 2007;43:2775–83. CrossRef
- Rodriguez Hernandez JC, Monleon Pradas M, Gomez Ribelles JL. Properties of poly(2-hydroxyethyl acrylate)-silica nanocomposites obtained by the sol–gel process. J Non-Cryst Solids. 2008;354:1900–8. CrossRef
- Pandis C, Spanoudaki A, Kyritsis A, Pissis P, Rodriguez Hernandez JC, Gomez Ribelles JL, Monleon Pradas M. Water sorption characteristics of poly(2-hydroxyethyl acrylate)/silica nanocomposite hydrogels. J Polym Sci Part B Polym Phys. 2011;49:657–68. CrossRef
- Stathopoulos A, Klonos P, Kyritsis A, Pissis P, Christodoulides C, Rodriguez Hernandez JC, Monleon Pradas M, Gomez Ribelles JL. Water sorption and polymer dynamics in hybrid poly(hydroxyethyl-co-ethyl acrylate)/silica hydrogels. Eur Polym J. 2010;46:101–11. CrossRef
- Kremer F, Schoenhals A, editors. Broadband dielectric spectroscopy. Berlin: Springer; 2002.
- Donth E. The glass transition: relaxation dynamics in liquids and disordered materials. Berlin: Springer; 2001.
- Havriliak S Jr, Havriliak SJ. Dielectric and mechanical relaxation in materials. Munich: Hanser; 1997.
- Kripotou S, Pissis P, Savelyev YV, Robota LP, Travinskaya TV. Polymer dynamics in polyurethane/clay nanocomposites studied by dielectric and thermal techniques. J Macromol Sci Phys. 2010;49:86–110. CrossRef
- Pelster R, Spanoudaki A, Kruse T. Microstructure and effective properties of nanocomposites: ferrofluids as tunable model systems. J Phys D Appl Phys. 2004;37:307–17. CrossRef
- Pissis P, Kyritsis A. Electrical conductivity studies in hydrogels. Solid State Ionics. 1997;97:105–13. CrossRef
- Angell CA. Relaxation in liquids, polymers and plastic crystals—strong/fragile patterns and problems. J Non-Cryst Solids. 1991;131–133:13–31. CrossRef
- Fragiadakis D, Pissis P. Glass transition and segmental dynamics in poly(dimethylsiloxane)/silica nanocomposites studied by various techniques. J Non-Cryst Solids. 2007;353:4344–52. CrossRef
- Kourkoutsaki Th, Logakis E, Kroutilova I, Matejka L, Nedbal J, Pissis P. Polymer dynamics in rubbery epoxy networks/polyhedral oligomeric silsequioxanes nanocomposites. J Appl Polym Sci. 2009;113:2569–82. CrossRef
- Fragiadakis D, Bokobza L, Pissis P. Dynamics near the particle surface in natural rubber–silica nanocomposites. Polymer. 2011;52:3175–3182. CrossRef
- Klonos P, Panagopoulou A, Bokobza L, Kyritsis A, Peoglos V, Pissis P. Comparative studies on effects of silica and titania nanoparticles on crystallization and complex segmental dynamics in poly(dimethylsiloxane). Polymer. 2010;51:5490–9.
- Napolitano S, Wuebbenhorst M. The lifetime of the deviations from bulk behavior in polymers confined at the nanoscale. Nat Commun. 2011;2:260. doi:10.1038/incomms1259.
- Thermal transitions and dynamics in nanocomposite hydrogels
Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry
Volume 108, Issue 3 , pp 1067-1078
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Poly(hydroxyethyl acrylate-co-ethyl acrylate)/silica hydrogels
- Glass transition
- Segmental dynamics
- Electrical conductivity
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physics, National Technical University of Athens, Zografou Campus, 157 80, Athens, Greece
- 2. Department of Experimental Physics, University des Saarlandes, Saarbrücken, Germany
- 3. Department of Physics, Tokai University, Hiratsuka, Kanagawa, 259-1292, Japan
- 4. Center for Biomaterials, Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Valencia, Spain