Thermogravimetric study of 8-hydroxyquinoline 5-sulfonic acid–melamine–formaldehyde terpolymer resins-II
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The title terpolymer (8-HQ5-SAMF-II) is synthesized by the condensation of 8-hydroxyquinoline 5-sulfonic acid (8-HQ5-SA) and melamine (M) with formaldehyde (F) in the presence of acid catalyst and using 2:1:3 M proportions of the reacting monomers. The synthesized terpolymer resin is then characterized by different physicochemical techniques viz. number average molecular mass determination, intrinsic viscosity determination, and spectral studies like UV–Visible, IR, 1H NMR, and 13C NMR spectra. The morphology of synthesized terpolymer was studied by scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The thermogravimetry of the terpolymer resin prepared in this study has been carried out by non-isothermal thermogravimetry technique in which sample is subjected to condition of continuous increase in temperature at linear rate. Thermal study of the resin was carried out to determine their mode of decomposition and relative thermal stabilities. Thermal decomposition curves were studied carefully with minute details. The Freeman-Carroll and Sharp-Wentworth methods have been used in the present investigation to calculate thermal activation energy and different kinetic parameter of the terpolymer resins. Thermal activation energy E a calculated with the two above-mentioned methods are in close agreement. The advantage of Freeman-Carroll method is to calculate both the order of reaction n and energy of activation in one single stage by keeping heating rate constant. By using data of thermogravimetry, various thermodynamic parameters like frequency factor Z, entropy change ΔS, free energy change ΔF, and apparent entropy S* have been determined using Freeman-Carroll method.
- Diaz, FR, Moreno, J, Tagle, LH, East, GA, Radic, D (1999) Synthesis, characterization and electrical properties of polyimines derived from selenophene. Synth Met 100: pp. 187-193 CrossRef
- Suh, SC, Shim, SC (2000) Synthesis and properties of a novel polyazomethines, the polymer with high photoconductivity and second-order optical nonlinearity. Synth Met 114: pp. 91-95 CrossRef
- Bredas JL, Chance RR. Conjugated polymeric materials: opportunities in electronics optoelectronics and molecular electronics. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic; 1990.
- Marder, SR, Sohn, JR, Stucky, GD (1991) Materials for non-linear optics: chemical perspectives. ACS, Washington CrossRef
- Ledoux-Rak, I, Dodabalapur, A, Blom, P (2002) Novel organic materials and technological advances for photonics. Synth Met 127: pp. 1-2 CrossRef
- Al Shawabkeh, AF, Al Wahab, HA, Shahab, YA (2007) Temperature dependence of the electrical conductivity of some conjugated polyazomethines. J Optoelectron Adv Mater 9: pp. 2075-2077
- Nishide, H, Yoshioka, N, Tsuchida, E, Inoue, H (1989) Coordination, structure and magnetic properties of poly(pyridilenemethylidenenitriloiron)s. J Polym Sci A 27: pp. 497-505 CrossRef
- Mazur, M, Kaminska, AM, Bukowska, J (2007) Surface catalyzed growth of poly (2-methoxyaniline) on gold. Electrochim Acta 52: pp. 5669-5676 CrossRef
- Gupta, RK, Singh, RA (2005) Solid-state organic batteries based on polymer composites of charge-transfer materials. J Polym Res 12: pp. 189-195 CrossRef
- Koval’chuk, EP, Stratan, NV, Reshetnyak, OV, Blazejowski, J, Wittingham, MS (2001) Synthesis and properties of the polyanisidines. Solid State Ionics 141: pp. 217-224 CrossRef
- Khuhawar, MY, Shah, A, Mughal, MA (2007) Preparation and characterization of Schiff base polymers derived from 4, 4′-methylenebis (cinnamaldehyde). J Polym Sci 25: pp. 399-407
- Cianga, I, Ivanoiu, M (2006) Synthesis of poly(Schiff base)s by organometallic processes. Eur Polym J 42: pp. 1922-1933 CrossRef
- Racles, C, Cozen, V, Sajo, I (2007) Influence of chemical structure on processing and thermo tropic properties of poly(siloxane-azomethine)s. High Perform Polym 19: pp. 541-552 CrossRef
- Bereket, G, Hur, E, Sahin, Y (2005) Electrochemical synthesis and anti-corrosive properties of polyaniline poly(2-anisidine) and poly(aniline-co-2-anisidine) films on stainless steel. Prog Org Coat 54: pp. 63-72
- Kaya, I, Demir, HO, Vilayetoglu, AR (2002) The synthesis and characterization of planar oligophenols with Schiff base substitute. Synth Met 126: pp. 183-191 CrossRef
- Kaya, I, Koyuncu, S (2003) The synthesis and characterization of oligo-N-4-aminopyridine, oligo-2-[(pyridine-4-yl-imino) methyl] phenol and its some oligomer-metal complexes. Polymer 44: pp. 7299-7309 CrossRef
- Guan, LL, Zhang, CX (2004) Thermal stabilities and the thermal degradation kinetics of polyimide. Polym Degrad Stab 84: pp. 369-373 CrossRef
- Imai, Y, Itoya, K, Kakimoto, M (2000) Synthesis of aromatic polybenzoxazoles by silylation method and their thermal and mechanical properties. Macromol Chem Phys 201: pp. 2251-2256 CrossRef
- Rahangdale PK, Gurnule WB, Paliwal LJ, Kharat RB. Synthesis of 4-hydroxyacetophenone-oxamide-formaldehyde terpolymer resins. In: Proceeding of national conference on recent trends in nanoscience; 2006. p. 222.
- Tarase MV, Zade AB, Gurnule WB. Resin I. Synthesis, characterization and ion-exchange properties of terpolymer resins derived from 2,4-dihydreoxypropiophenone, biuret and formaldehyde. J Appl Polym Sci. 2008;108(2):738–46.
- Pal, TK, Kharat, RB (1989) Synthesis and characterization of salicylic acid-dithiobiuret-trioxane resins. J Indian Chem Soc 66: pp. 283-286
- Gurnule, WB, Juneja, HD, Paliwal, LJ (1999) Synthesis and thermogravimetric analysis of tercopolymers resin derived from salicylic acid, melamine and formaldehyde. J Indian Chem Sci 16: pp. 6-8
- Singru, RN, Zade, AB, Gurnule, WB (2008) Synthesis, characterization and thermal degradation studies of terpolymer resins derived from p-cresol, melamine and formaldehyde. J Appl Polym Sci 109: pp. 859-868 CrossRef
- Jadhao, MM, Paliwal, LJ, Bhave, NS (2008) Resin. III. Synthesis, characterization, and ion-exchange properties of a 2, 2′-dihydroxybiphenyl–formaldehyde. J Appl Polym Sci 109: pp. 508-514 CrossRef
- Morrison, RT, Boyd, RN (1996) Organic chemistry. Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi
- Barth Howard, G, Mays Jimmy, W (1991) Modern methods of polymer characterization. Willey, New York
- Gurnule, WB, Paliwal, LJ, Kharat, RB (2001) Synthesis and stereo chemical characterization of polychelates derived from b, b′-(2-hydroxy-5-chlorobenzoyl)-p-divinylbenzene. Synth React Inorg Met Org Chem 31: pp. 1453-1477 CrossRef
- Gupta, RH, Zade, AB, Gurnule, WB (2007) Thermal analysis studies of terpolymer resins derived from 2-hydroxyacetophenone, melamine and formaldehyde. J Ultra Sci Phys Sci 19: pp. 359-366
- Gurnule, WB, Juneja, HD, Paliwal, LJ (1999) Thermogravimetric analysis of p-hydroxybenzoic acid–melamine–formaldehyde tercopolymers. Asian J Chem 11: pp. 767-773
- Gurnule WB, Juneja HD, Paliwal LJ. Thermal degradation of 8-hydroxyquinonline–biuret–formaldehyde tercopolymers. In: Proceeding of international congress of chemistry and environment, Indore; 2001. p. 98–101.
- Katkamwar SS, Zade AB, Gurnule WB. Thermogravimetric analysis of terpolymer resins derived from 8-hydroxyquinoline-dithiooxamide and formaldehyde. J Ultra Sci Phys Sci. 2007;3(2):103–8.
- Tarase, MV, Zade, AB, Gurnule, WB (2007) Thermal degradation studies of terpolymer resins derived from 2,4-dihydreoxypropiophenone, biuret and formaldehyde. J Ultra Chem 3: pp. 41-48
- Tamargo, MK, Villar, RS, Paredes, JI (2003) Studies on the thermal degradation of poly (p-phenylene benzobisoxazole). Chem Mater 15: pp. 4052-4059 CrossRef
- Nielsen, CA, Pierini, P, Fuh, S (1993) Thermal and thermo oxidative degradation of poly (p-phenylene-cis-benzobisoxazole) (PBO): determination of kinetics and reaction products. J Fire Sci 11: pp. 156-171 CrossRef
- Furniss, BS, Hannaford, AJ, Smith, PWG, Tatchell, AR (1998) Vogel’s text book of practical organic chemistry. Addison Wesley Longman Ltd, England
- Thermogravimetric study of 8-hydroxyquinoline 5-sulfonic acid–melamine–formaldehyde terpolymer resins-II
Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry
Volume 100, Issue 3 , pp 1027-1036
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Thermogravimetric analysis
- Industry Sectors