Thermal and structural properties of commercial dental resins light-cured with blue emitting diodes (LEDs)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We have investigated the thermal and structural properties of different commercial dental resins: FiltekTM Z-350, Grandio®, Tetric Ceram®, and TPH Spectrum®. The purpose of the present study was to evaluate quantitatively the photo-polymerization behavior and the effect of filler contents on the kinetic cures of the dental resins by using Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) and Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FT-IR) techniques. We have successfully obtained the low and high glass transition T g values of the dental composite resins from DSC curves. It was also observed a good agreement between the both T g values, activation energies from thermal degradation, and the degree of conversion obtained for all samples. The results have shown that Tetric Ceram® dental resin presented the higher T g values, activation energy of 215 ± 6 KJ mol−1, and the higher degree of conversion (63%) when compared to the other resins studied herein.
- Antonucci JM, Stansbury JW. In: Arshady R, editor. Desk reference of functional polymers. Washington, DC: American Chemical Society; 1997.
- Moszner N, Salz U. New development of polymeric dental composites. Prog Polym Sci. 2001;26:535–76. CrossRef
- Gatti A, Rastelli ANS, Ribeiro SJL, Messaddeq Y, Bagnato VS. Polymerization of photocurable commercial dental methacrylate-based composites—Photocalorimetry study. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2007;87:631–4. CrossRef
- Wilson KS, Zhanga K, Antonuccia JM. Systematic variation of interfacial phase reactivity in dental composites. Biomaterials. 2005;26:5095–103. CrossRef
- Masouras K, Silikas N, Watt DC. Correlation of filler content and elastic properties of resin-composites. Dent Mater. 2008;24:932–9. CrossRef
- Conti C, et al. Spectroscopic and mechanical properties of dental resin composites cured with different light sources. J Mol Struct. 2005;744–747:641–6. CrossRef
- Anseth KS, Newman SM, Bowman CN. Polymerization kinetics and volume relaxation behavior of photopolymerized multifunctional monomers producing highly crosslinked network. Adv Polym Sci. 1995;122:177–217.
- Watts DC. Reaction kinetics and mechanics in photo-polymerised networks. Dent Mater. 2005;21:27–35. CrossRef
- Ferracane JL, Berge HX, Condon JR. In vitro aging of dental composites in water—effect of degree of conversion, filler volume, and filler/matrix coupling. J Biomed Mater Res. 1998;42:465–72. CrossRef
- Li Y, Swartz ML, Phillips RW, Moore BK, Roberts TA. Materials science effect of filler content and size on properties of composites. J Dent Res. 1985;64:1396–401.
- Lim BS, Ferracane JL, Condon JR, Adey JD. Effect of filler fraction and filler surface treatment on wear of microfilled composites. Dent Mater. 2002;18:1–11. CrossRef
- Razak AA, Harrison A. The effect of filler content and processing variables on dimensional accuracy of experimental composite inlay material. J Prosthet Dent. 1997;77:353–8. CrossRef
- Soderholm KJ. Influence of silane treatment and filler fraction on thermal expansion of composite resins. J Dent Res. 1984;63:1321–6.
- Mohsen NM, Craig RG, Filisko FE. Effects of curing time and filler concentration on curing and postcuring of urethane dimethacrylate composites: a microcalorimetric study. J Biomed Mater Res. 1998;40:224–32. CrossRef
- Lee JK, Choi JY, Lim BS, Lee Y, Sakaguchi RL. Change of properties during storage of a UDMA/TEGDMA dental resin. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2004;68B:216–21. CrossRef
- Tanimoto Y, Hayakawa T, Nemoto K. Analysis of photopolymerization behavior of UDMA/TEGDMA resin mixture and its composite by differential scanning calorimetry. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2005;72B:310–5. CrossRef
- Rastelli ANS, Jacomassi DP, Bagnato VS. Effect of power densities and irradiation times on the degree of conversion and temperature increase of a microhybrid dental composite resin. Laser Phys. 2008;18:1074–9. CrossRef
- Achilias DS, Karabela MM, Sideridou ID. Thermal degradation of light-cured dimethacrylate resins: part I. Isoconversional kinetic analysis. Thermochim Acta. 2008;472:74–83. CrossRef
- Bernardi MIB, Rojas SS, Andreeta MRB, Rastelli ANS, Hernandes AC, Bagnato VS. Thermal analysis and structural investigation of different dental composites resins. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2008;94:791–6. CrossRef
- Kanbe H, Ozawa T. Thermal analysis. Tokyo: Kohdansha; 1992. p. 57–64.
- Hatakeyama T, Quinn FX. Thermal analysis—fundamentals and applications to polymer science. 2nd ed. New York: Wiley; 1999. p. 82–4.
- Thermal and structural properties of commercial dental resins light-cured with blue emitting diodes (LEDs)
Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry
Volume 99, Issue 1 , pp 263-268
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Dental resins
- Thermal analysis
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Grupo Crescimento de Cristais e Materiais Cerâmicos, Instituto de Física de São Carlos, Universidade de São Paulo, Avenida Trabalhador São Carlense, 400, São Carlos, SP, 13566-590, Brazil
- 2. Grupo de Óptica, Instituto de Física de São Carlos, Universidade de São Paulo, São Carlos, SP, Brazil