Water vapour barrier performance of corn-zein coated polypropylene (PP) packaging films
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The novel film structure of corn-zein coated on polypropylene (PP) synthetic film for packaging industry was developed to examine the feasibility of resulting coated films as an alternative water barrier performance for food packaging. The effects of coating formulation (solvent, corn-zein, plasticizer concentration and plasticizer type) on final properties of films were observed. Corn-zein is the most important protein of corn and has good film forming property. Composites structures of PP films coated with corn-zein were obtained through a simple solvent casting method. Polyethylene glycol (PEG) and glycerol (GLY) were used as plasticizer to increase film flexibility. Statistical analysis based on full factorial design was performed to observe coating formulation effects. The high water vapour barriers were obtained for films coated with coating formulation consisting of higher amounts of corn-zein plasticized by GLY. The lower glass transition temperatures (T g) of films were obtained by plasticization of films and T g decreased by increasing plasticizer content. The statistical analysis defined the key parameters of coating formulation that had major effects on the final properties of coated PP films as corn-zein, plasticizer concentration and plasticizer type. In conclusion, corn-zein coatings could have potential as an alternative to conventional synthetic polymers used in composite multilayer structures for food packaging applications.
- R. C. Hermand, Biopolymers-Making Materials Natures’ Way, John Wiley, New York (1993) 43.
- C. S. K. Reddy, R. Ghai and V. C. Rashmi, Biores. Technol., 87 (2003) 137. CrossRef
- C. N. Cutter, Meat Sci., 74 (2004) 131. CrossRef
- C. J. Weber, Biobased Packaging Materials for the Food Industry: Status and Perspectives, KVL, London 2000, p. 15.
- S. I. Hong and J. M. Krochta, J. Food Eng., 77 (2004) 739. CrossRef
- V. K. Haugaard, A. M. Udsen, G. Mortensen, L. Høegh, K. Petersen and F. Monahan, Starch, 53 (2000) 189. CrossRef
- R. N. Tharanathan, Trends Food Sci. Technol., 14 (2003) 71. CrossRef
- R. Chandra and R. Rustgi, Progr. Polym. Sci., 23 (2003) 1273. CrossRef
- H. M. Lai and G.W. Padua, Cereal Chem., 74 (1997) 771. CrossRef
- V. P. Martino, R. A. Ruseckaite and A. Jimenez, J. Therm. Anal. Cal., 86 (2006) 707. CrossRef
- S. I. Hong, J.W. Lee and S. M. Son, Packaging Technol. Sci., 18 (2005) 1. CrossRef
- S. I. Hong, J. H. Han and J. M. Krochta, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 92 (2004) 335. CrossRef
- H. M. Lai, G. W. Padua and L. S. Wei, Cereal Chem., 74 (1997) 83. CrossRef
- J. W. Lawton, Cereal Chem., 81 (2004) 1. CrossRef
- N. Parris and D. R. Coffin, J. Agric. Food Chem., 45 (1997) 1596. CrossRef
- B. Ghanbarzadeh, M. Musavi, A. R. Oromiehie, K. Rezayi, E. Razmi and J. Milani, Iranian Polym. J., 15 (2007) 691.
- C. Caner, P. J. Vergano and J. L. Wiles, J. Food Sci., 63 (1997) 1049.
- R. Sothornvit and J. M. Krochta, J. Food Sci., 65 (2000) 700. CrossRef
- P. C. Srinivasaa, M. N. Rameshb and R. N. Food Hydrocoll., in press (2006).
- F. X. B. Santosa and G. W. Padua, Cereal Chem., 77 (2000) 459. CrossRef
- H. Madeka and J. L. Kokini, Cereal Chem., 73 (1996) 433.
- M. Tillekeratne and A. J. Easteal, Polym. Int., 49 (2000) 127. CrossRef
- J. Magoshi, S. Nakamura and K. I. Murakamiki, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 45 (1992) 2043. CrossRef
- J. Magoshi, M. A. Becker, Z. Han and S. Nakamura, J. Therm. Anal. Cal., 70 (2002) 833. CrossRef
- Water vapour barrier performance of corn-zein coated polypropylene (PP) packaging films
Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry
Volume 94, Issue 3 , pp 687-693
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- corn zein
- water vapor barrier
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, İzmir Institute of Technology, 35430, Gülbahçe, Urla, İzmir, Turkey
- 2. Department of Food Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, İzmir Institute of Technology, 35430, Gülbahçe, Urla, İzmir, Turkey