XRD characterization of the ashes from a burned cellulosic fabric impregnated with magnesium bromide hexahydrate as flame-retardant
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effect of magnesium bromide hexahydrate [MgBr2·6H2O] as a nondurable finish on the flammability of 100% cotton fabric, (woven construction, massing 150 g m−2) has been investigated. The laundered bone-dried, massed fabrics were impregnated with various concentrations of the aqueous above-mentioned salt solutions by means of squeeze rolls and drying in an oven at 110°C for 30 min. The specimens were then cooled in a desiccator, re-massed with an analytical balance and kept under standard conditions before the fulfillment of the vertical flame spread test.
After several experiments the optimum add-on values to impart flame-retardancy expressed in g anhydrous magnesium bromide hexahydrate per 100 g fabric were determined to be about 5.6%. The ashes of the treated specimens were subjected to X-ray diffraction analysis (XRD), and the result was compared with data for pure MgO powder and/or MgBr2 specimens. Consequently the existence of MgO was detected in the ashes.
- C. Martin, J. C. Ronda and V. Cádiz, Polym. Degrad. Stab., 91 (2006) 747. CrossRef
- J. Xiao, Y. Hu, L. Yang, Y. Cai, L. Z. Song and W. F. Chen, Polymer Degr. Stab., 91 (2006) 2093. CrossRef
- T. H. Bhaskar, W. J. N. Merry, M. Mitan, A. Muto, P. T. Williams and Y. Sakata, Polym. Degrad. Stab., 92 (2006) 211. CrossRef
- S. Morris, P. Bersuder, C. R. Allchin, B. Zegers, J. P. Boon, P. E. G. Leonards and J. de Boer, Trends Anal. Chem., 25 (2006).
- G. Wang, W. Cheng, Y. Tu, C. Wang and C. Chen, Polymer Degrad. Stab., 91 (2006) 3344. CrossRef
- S. M. Mostashari and Y. Kamali Nia, J. Therm. Anal. Cal., OnlineFirst, DOI: 10.1007/s10973-007-7907-0.
- S. M. Mostashari, Y. Kamali Nia and F. Fayyaz, J. Therm. Anal. Cal., 91 (2008) 237. CrossRef
- S. M. Mostashari and S. Z. Mostashari, J. Therm. Anal. Cal., 91 (2008) 437. CrossRef
- S. M. Mostashari, Y. K. Nia and S. Baei, Chin. J. Chem, 25 (2007) 926. CrossRef
- S. M. Mostashari, H. Haddadi and Z. Hashempoor, Asian J. Chem., 18 (2006) 2388.
- S. M. Mostashari, M. A. Zanjanchi and O. Baghi, Combustion, Explosion Shock Waves, 41 (2005) 426. CrossRef
- S. M. Mostashari, Asian J. Chem., 17 (2005) 434.
- S. M. Mostashari and S. M. Golmirzadeh, Asian J. Chem., 17 (2005) 2007.
- S. M. Mostashari and A. Darsaraei, Intern. J. Chem., 15 (2005) 89.
- F. M. Farhan, S. M. Mostashari and G. Ghazi Moghaddam, Intern. J. Chem., 2 (1991) 163.
- U. S. Department of Commerce Standard for flammability of childrens Sleepware (DOC.FF 3-71), Federal Register, 36, No. 146, July 19, 1971.
- W. A. Reeves and M. A. Hammons, Text. Res. J., 50 (1980) 245. CrossRef
- J. H. Troitzsch, Chimica Oggi Chemistry Today, 16 (1998) 10, 14.
- S. M. Mostashari, M. Phil. Thesis, University of Leeds, Leeds 1978, pp. 12, 25.
- M. Kenser and W. De Vos, J. Chem. Edu., 78 (2001) 41. CrossRef
- V. Tohka and R. Zevenhoven, Helsinki University of Technology Department of Mechanical Engineering, Espoo 2001, p. 8.
- J. Troitzsch, International Plastics Flammability Handbook: Principles-Regulations-Testing and approval, Hanser, Munich 1990.
- D. Price, A. R. Horrocks, M. Akalin and A. A. Farop, J. Anal. Appl. Pyrolysis, 40 (1997) 511. CrossRef
- Z. E. Jolles and G. I. Jolles, Plastics Polym., 40 (1972) 321.
- C. Z. Carroll Porezynsky, Flammability of Composite Fabric, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Leeds, Leeds 1972.
- XRD characterization of the ashes from a burned cellulosic fabric impregnated with magnesium bromide hexahydrate as flame-retardant
Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry
Volume 92, Issue 3 , pp 845-849
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- free-radical theory
- gas theory
- magnesium bromide hexahydrate
- Industry Sectors