Improved controlled relative humidity dynamic mechanical analysis of artists’ acrylic emulsion paints
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
After improvements were made to a modified Polymer Labs MkIII DMTA instrument to facilitate repeatable controlled humidity (RH) experiments using isothermal and thermal scanning conditions, the viscoelastic properties of titanium white pigmented artists’ acrylic emulsion films were measured in tensile mode. The effects of temperature, relative humidity and accelerated ageing regimes on two brands of titanium white paints were explored. These paints are highly responsive to changes in temperature and relative humidity, formulation differences affect properties slightly, and while light ageing had a negligible effect, thermal ageing resulted in decreased storage modulus and increased film density.
- T. Learner, The Conservator, 24 (2000) 96.
- A. Murray, C. C. De Berenfeld, S. Y. S. Chang, E. Jablonski, T. Klein, M. C. Riggs, E. C. Robertson and W. M. A. Tse, Materials Research Society Symposia Proceedings, 712 (2002) 83.
- E. Jablonski, T. Learner, J. Hayes and M. Golden, Reviews in Conservation, 4 (2003) 3.
- A. Murray, Materials Issues in Art and Archaeology VI: Symposium, Boston 2001, pp. 83–90.
- B. Ormsby, T. Learner, M. Schilling, J. Druzik, H. Khanjian, D. Carson, G. Foster and M. Sloan, Oberflächenreinigung. Materialien und Methoden. VDR Schriftenreihe 2, Ed. Cornelia Weyer, Theiss Verlag, Stuttgart 2006, pp. 135–149.
- B. Ormsby, G. Foster, T. Learner, S. Ritchie and M. Schilling, J. Therm. Anal. Cal., submitted.
- G. M. Foster, S. Ritchie and C. Lowe, J. Therm. Anal. Cal., 73 (2003) 119. CrossRef
- J. D. Erlebacher, M. F. Mecklenburg and C. S. Tumosa, Materials Research Society Symposia Proceedings, 267 (1992) 359.
- M. F. Mecklenburg, C. S. Tumosa and J. D. Erlebacher, Polym. Prepr., 33 (1992) 646.
- M. F. Mecklenburg, C. S. Tumosa and J. D. Erlebacher, Polym. Prepr., 35 (1994) 297.
- E. Hagan and A. Murray, Materials Research Society Symposia Proceedings, 852 (2005) 41.
- D. Scalarone, O. Chiantore and T. Learner, ICOM Committee for Conservation 14th Triennial Meeting, Preprints. James & James (Science Publishers) Ltd., The Hague 2005, pp. 350–357.
- T. Learner, O. Chiantore and D. Scalarone, ICOM Committee for Conservation 13th Triennial Meeting Rio de Janeiro, Preprints, James & James (Science Publishers) Ltd., (2002), pp. 911–919.
- S. Digney-Peer, A. Burnstock, T. Learner, H. Khanjian, F. Hoogland and J. J. Boon, Contributions to Bilbao Congress, 13–17 September 2004. International Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (2004), pp. 202–207.
- J. R. Snuparek, A. Bidman, J. Hanus and B. Hajkova, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 28 (1983) 1421. CrossRef
- J. R. Snuparek, J. Oil Colour Chemists Association, 55 (1972) 1007.
- N. Agarwal and R. J. Farris, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 72 (1999) 1407, 1417. CrossRef
- Improved controlled relative humidity dynamic mechanical analysis of artists’ acrylic emulsion paints
Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry
Volume 90, Issue 2 , pp 503-508
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- acrylic emulsion
- accelerated ageing
- dynamic mechanical analyser
- relative humidity
- titanium white
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Conservation Department, Tate, London, UK
- 2. Smithers Rapra, Shawbury, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY4 4NR, UK
- 3. School of Engineering and Computer Science, Exeter University, Exeter, UK
- 4. Getty Conservation Institute, Los Angeles, USA