Chemical and Physical Analysis of Acetate-Oxide Sol-Gel Processing Routes for the Y-Ba-Cu-O System
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The formation of three sols by fluorine-free aqueous and non-aqueous processes were analyzed and modified to vary the chemical properties of the sols (inks) to suit a variety of deposition processes such as dip-coating and ink-jet coating/printing. Ink-jet printing requires high wetting angles; choosing the right complexing agents to modify the ink allows the formation of droplets with high wetting angles on the surface. Dip-coating and ink-jet coating require low wetting angles; additives added to the sols reduce wetting angles to 10∘ and allow complete coverage of the substrate surface. The deposition theories and requirements are briefly discussed, as are some initial tests with the printing and converting of the developed superconducting inks.
- J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, in Handbook of Superconducting Materials, edited by D.A. Cardwell and D.S. Ginley, Institute of Physics, 2002, p. 565.
- I. Van Driessche, et al., in Euro Ceramics Vii, Pt 1–3, (2002), p. 479–482.
- I.H. Mutlu, E. Celik, and Y.S. Hascicek, Physica C-Superconductivity and Its Applications, 370(2), 113 (2002).
- B.A. Glowacki and T. Mouganie, in European Conference on Applied Superconductivity (Sorrento, Italy: Institute of Physics, 2003).
- L. Klein, Sol-Gel Technology for Thin Films, Fibers, Preforms, Electronics, and Speciality shapes (Noyes Publications, 1988).
- L.E. Murr, American Society for Testing and Materials 82 (1978).
- R.S. Liu et al., Applied Physics Letters. 57(9), 920 (1990). CrossRef
- I. Schildermans et al., Physica C 278(1/2), 55 (1997).
- A. Baranauskas, D. Jasaitis, and A. Kareiva, Vibrational Spectroscopy. 28(2), 263 (2002). CrossRef
- A. Aoki, S. Ohno, and Y. Muramatsu, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 147/148, 720 (1992). CrossRef
- A.W. Adamson, Physical Chemistry of Surfaces. 3rd ed. (Wiley and Sons, 1967)
- F.A. Cotton et al., Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, (New York: John Wiley and Sons Inc, 1998).
- J. McKittrick and R. Contreras, Thin Solid Films. 206, 146 (1991). CrossRef
- B.A. Glowacki, Superconductor Science & Technology 11(10), 989 (1998).
- T. Mouganie et al. in European Conference on Applied Superconductivity, Sorrento, Italy: Institute of Physics, 2003.
- N.A. Rutter and B.A. Glowacki, IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity. 11, 2730 (2001). CrossRef
- N.A. Rutter, B.A. Glowacki, and J.E. Evetts, Superconducting Science and Technology 13(L25), (2000).
- Chemical and Physical Analysis of Acetate-Oxide Sol-Gel Processing Routes for the Y-Ba-Cu-O System
Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology
Volume 36, Issue 1 , pp 87-94
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Sol-Gel Synthesis
- Ink-Jet Printing
- Ink-Jet Coating
- Ceramic Coatings
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. IRC in Superconductivity, Cavendish Laboratories, University of Cambridge, Madingley Road, Cambridge, CB3 0HE, United Kingdom
- 2. Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy, University of Cambridge, Pembroke Street, Cambridge, CB2 3QZ, United Kingdom
- 3. Department of Inorganic and Physical Chemistry, University of Gent, Krijgslaan, 281-S3 9000, Gent, Belgium