A highly flexible, data intensive acquisition system for characterizing low-level decay events
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Since the early 1970’s, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has maintained a low-level decay, multi-channel counting facility for measuring environmental samples and for pulse distribution studies tied to the behavior of proportional and Geiger-Müller detectors. Pulses have been time stamped and sorted using a hard-wired digital logic interface to discriminate coincidence, anticoincidence, guard and test pulse events; to digitize the pulse-height and rise-time; to monitor specific characteristics of intra-channel and inter-channel events; and to measure microsecond timing between any two events. To enhance event characterization, a computer-based waveform analyzer was added in 1985 to digitize individual pulses. In 2002, a next-generation low-level counting (NG-LLC) system was developed using commercial off-the-shelf electronics. The objective of this paper is to describe the key components of the NG-LLC system. Many of the event parameters previously determined by inflexible digital logic are now calculated in software.
- R. Davis Jr., J. C. Evans, V. Radeka, L. C. Rogers, Report on the Brookhaven Solar Neutrino Experiment, BNL Report 16937, 1972.
- B. T. Cleveland, T. Daily, R. Davis Jr., J. R. Distel, K. Lande, C. K. Lee, P. S. Wildenhain, J. Ullman, Astrophys. J., 496 (1998) 505. CrossRef
- W. M. Rutherford, J. Evans, L. A. Currie, Anal. Chem., 48 (1976) 607. CrossRef
- L. A. Currie, R. M. Lindstrom, The NBS Measurement System for Natural 37Ar, in: Proc. of the Noble Gases Symp., EPA and University of Nevada at Las Vegas, 1975.
- L. A. Currie, R. W. Gerlach, G. A. Klouda, F. C. Ruegg, G. B. Tompkins, Radiocarbon, 25 (1983) 553.
- L. A. Currie, G. A. Klouda, R. E. Continetti, I. R. Kaplan, W. W. Wong, T. G. Dzubay, R. K. Stevens, Radiocarbon, 25 (1983) 603.
- L. A. Currie, E. M. Eijgenhuijsen, G. A. Klouda, Radiocarbon, 40 (1998) 113.
- L. A. Currie, G. A. Klouda, J. Radioanal. Nuclear Chem., 248 (2001) 239. CrossRef
- A highly flexible, data intensive acquisition system for characterizing low-level decay events
Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry
Volume 276, Issue 3 , pp 657-662
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Electron and Optical Physics Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, 20899, USA
- 2. Surface and Microanalysis Science Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, 20899, USA
- 3. Center for Neutron Research, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, 20899, USA