Investigation of the sample characteristics needed for the determination of the origin of uranium-bearing materials
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A set of 35 uranium ore and 10 yellow cake samples, collected worldwide from different mines and production sites, were analyzed for their impurity spectrum by ICP-MS. Pattern recognition techniques such as cluster analysis were applied to the data set in order to characterize samples with relation to their geographical origin. The results obtained show a clear relationship between samples taken from the same geological origin and constitute a satisfactory fingerprint for establishing the origin of the material. In addition to the impurity data, data on the isotopic composition of radiogenic lead is used to resolve ambiguity when impurity cluster analysis fails to deliver unambiguous origin data.
- M. Wallenius, K. Mayer, I. Ray, Forensic Sci. Intern., 156 (2006) 55. CrossRef
- K. Mayer, M. Wallenius, T. Fanghänel, J. Alloys Compounds, 444–445 (2007) 50. CrossRef
- M. Peehs, T. Walter, S. Walter, Ullmann’s Encyclopaedia of Industrial Chemistry, Vol. A27, Cambridge, New York, 1996.
- E. K. Hyde, I. Perlman, G. T. Seaborg, The Nuclear Properties of the Heavy Elements, Vol. 2, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs NJ, 1964.
- W. White, M. Albarede, F. P. Telouk, Chem. Geol., 167 (2000) 257. CrossRef
- N. S. Belshaw, P. A. Freedman, R. K. O’Nions, M. Frank, Y. Guo, Intern. J. Mass Spectrom., 181 (1998) 51. CrossRef
- J. I. Garcia Alonso, D. Toby-Schultzendorff, B. Giovanonne, L. Koch, H. Weismann, J. Anal. At. Spectrom., 8 (1993) 673. CrossRef
- J. C. Davis, Statistics and Data Analysis in Geology, 3rd ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2002.
- B. F. J. Manly, Multivariate Statistical Methods, 3rd ed., Chapman & Hall/CRC, New York, 2005.
- Investigation of the sample characteristics needed for the determination of the origin of uranium-bearing materials
Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry
Volume 278, Issue 1 , pp 201-209
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. European Commission, JRC, Institute for Transuranium Elements, P. O. Box 2340, D-76125, Karlsruhe, Germany
- 3. Institute of Physics, Savanoriu ave. 231, LT-02300, Vilnius, Lithuania
- 2. European Commission, JRC A.6., Square De Meeus, 10-060, Brussels, Belgium