Effect of Comonomers on Finishing Behavior of Carbon Fiber Precursors
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Finishing kinetics of acrylic precursor fibers was studied by using a new CGB-1 finish. Effects of different comonomers including vinyl pyrrolidone, acrylamide and methyl acrylate on finishing behavior of acrylic precursors were discussed. Diffusion coefficients of the finish were calculated by the Crank’s equation. It is shown that the precursor fibers with the CGB-1 finish do not have fluff, broken and adhered precursors. The increase of the finish uptake is greater around the glass-transition temperature and the change of uptake becomes less prominent as the finish bath temperature is above the glass-transition temperature. By use of comonomers, the finish uptake is enhanced, the diffusion coefficient of the finish is higher, the activation energy required for the finish is lower and the extent of decrease is the greatest for the fibers containing vinyl pyrrolidone. The properties of the finished precursor fibers containing polyvinyl pyrrolidone are the best.
- J. L. Dong, Y. M. Zhao, X. Y. Chen and X. M. Zheng, Process of Synthetic Fiber Production, Chinese Textile Industry Press, Beijing, 1996.
- C. M. James, Acrylic Fiber Technology and Applications, M. Dekker, New York, 1995.
- K. Masaki, Tanaka, Nakanishi and N. Kanamori, U.S. Pat. 5783305 (1997).
- P. Loew, U.S. Pat. 4382801 (1983).
- X. Q. Zhang, Q. H. Zhang and J. Wang, Advance in Fine Petrochemicals, 2, 28 (2001).
- H. Chen, C. G. Wang, L. Ying and H. S. Cai, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 90, 2752 (2003). CrossRef
- M. J. He, W. X. Chen and X. X. Dong, High Polymer Physics, Fudan University Press, Shanghai, 2000.
- H. Chen, C. G. Wang, Y. Liang and H. S. Cai, Chinese J. Chem. Eng., 11, 166 (2003).
- S. L. Chen, R. M. Rohner and H. Zollinger, Text. Res. J., 58, 247 (1988).
- C. A. Levine and T. G. Traylor, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 5, 606 (1961). CrossRef
- P. Bajai and Surya Kumari Munukutla, Text. Res. J., 60, 113 (1990).
- X. S. Gao and D. C. Wu, The Applied Physics of Fiber, Chinese Textile Industry Press, Beijing, 2001.
- Effect of Comonomers on Finishing Behavior of Carbon Fiber Precursors
Journal of Polymer Research
Volume 12, Issue 4 , pp 313-316
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- methyl acrylate
- vinyl pyrrolidone
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 001. College of Chemistry and Materials Science, Yantai Normal University, Yantai, 264025, China
- 002. Office of Science and Technology, Yantai Normal University, Yantai, 264025, China
- 003. Carbon Fiber Center, College of Materials Science and Engineering, Shandong University, Jinan, 250061, China