Perceived Discrimination and Peer Victimization Among African American and Latino Youth
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Perceptions of racial discrimination constitute significant risks to the psychological adjustment of minority youth. The present study examined the relationship between perceived racial discrimination and peer nominations of victimization among 173 (55 % female) African American, European American and Latino youth. All respondents completed peer nominations of victimization status whereas the African American and Latino youth completed subjective measures of racial discrimination. The results indicated that African American and Latino’s subjective perceptions of racial discrimination were linked to nominations of overt and relational victimization when rated by their European American peers. The results suggest that there is consistency between African American and Latino youth’s perceptions of racial discrimination and nominations of peer victimization by their European American peers.
- Barksdale, D. J., Farrug, E. R., & Harkness, K. (2009). Racial discrimination and blood pressure: Perceptions, emotions, and behaviors of Black American adults. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 30, 104–111. doi:10.1080/01612840802597879. CrossRef
- Brody, G. H., Chen, Y., Murry, V. M., Ge, X., Simons, R. L., Gibbons, F. X., et al. (2006). Perceived discrimination and the adjustment of African American youths: A five-year longitudinal analysis with contextual moderation effects. Child Development, 77, 1170–1189.
- Coie, J., & Dodge, K. (1983). Continuities and changes in children’s social status: A five-year longitudinal study. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly: Journal of Developmental Psychology, 29, 261–282.
- Deater-Deckard, K. (2001). Annotation: Recent research examining the role of peer relationships in the development of psychopathology. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 42, 565–579. doi:10.1111/1469-7610.00753. CrossRef
- Edwards, L. M., & Romero, A. J. (2008). Coping with discrimination among Mexican descendent adolescents. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 30, 24–39. doi:10.1177/0739986307311431. CrossRef
- Felix, E. D., & You, S. (2011). Peer victimization within the ethnic context of high school. Journal of Community Psychology, 39, 860–875. doi:10.1002/jcop.20465. CrossRef
- Fisher, C. B., Wallace, S. A., & Fenton, R. E. (2000). Discrimination distress during adolescence. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 29, 679–695. doi:10.1023/A:1026455906512. CrossRef
- Flores, E., Tschann, J. M., Dimas, J. M., Pasch, L. A., & de Groat, C. L. (2010). Perceived racial/ethnic discrimination, posttraumatic stress symptoms, and health risk behaviors among Mexican American adolescents. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 57, 264–273. doi:10.1037/a0020026. CrossRef
- Franzoi, S., Davis, M., & Vasquez-Suson, K. (1994). Two social worlds: Social correlates and stability of adolescent status groups. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 67, 462–473. doi:10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1992. CrossRef
- Gee, G., & Walsemann, K. (2009). Does health predict the reporting of racial discrimination or do reports of discrimination predict health? Findings from the national longitudinal study of youth. Social Science and Medicine, 68, 1676–1684. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.02.002. CrossRef
- Gibbons, F. X., Gerrard, M., Cleveland, M. J., Wills, T. A., & Brody, G. (2004). Perceived discrimination and substance use in African American parents and their children: A panel study. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 86, 517–529. doi:10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.527. CrossRef
- Graham, S. (2006). Peer victimization in school: Exploring the ethnic context. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 15, 317–321. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8721.2006.00460.x. CrossRef
- Hawker, D. S., & Boulton, M. J. (2000). Twenty year’s research on peer victimization and psychosocial maladjustment: A meta-analytic review of cross-sectional studies. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 4, 441–455. doi:10.1111/1469-7610.00629. CrossRef
- Huynh, V. W., & Fuligni, A. J. (2010). Discrimination hurts: The academic, psychological, and physical well-being of adolescents. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 20, 916–941. doi:10.1111/j.1532-7795.2010.00670.x. CrossRef
- Inderbitzen, H., Walters, K., & Bukowski, A. (1997). The role of social anxiety in adolescent peer relations: Differences among sociometric status groups and rejected subgroups. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 26, 338–348. doi:10.1207/s15374424jccp2604_2. CrossRef
- Krieger, N., & Sidney, S. (1996). Racial discrimination and blood pressure: The CARDIA study of young black and white adults. American Journal of Public Health, 86, 1370–1378. doi:10.2105/AJPH.86.10.1370. CrossRef
- Lai, M., & Tov, W. (2004). California healthy kids survey 2002 analysis. Asian Pacific Islander Youth Violence Prevention Center. Oakland, CA: Asian Pacific Islander Youth Violence Prevention Center, National Council on Crime and Delinquency.
- Matza, L. S., Kupersmidt, J. B., & Glenn, D. M. (2001). Adolescents’ perceptions and standards of their relationships with their parents as a function of sociometric status. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 11, 245–272.
- Neblett, E. W. J., Shelton, J. N., & Sellers, R. M. (2004). The role of racial identity in managing daily racial hassles. Racial identity in context: The legacy of Kenneth B. Clark (pp. 77–90). Washington, DC US: American Psychological Association. doi:10.1037/10812-005.
- Olweus, D. (1993). Bullying at school. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishers.
- Pepler, D., Craig, W. M., & O’Connell, P. (1999). Understanding bullying from a dynamic systems perspective. In A. Slater & D. Muir (Eds.), Developmental psychology: An advanced reader (pp. 440–451). Malden, MA: Blackwell.
- Prelow, H. M., Danoff-Burg, S., Swenson, R. R., & Pulgiano, D. (2004). The impact of ecological risk and perceived discrimination on the psychological adjustment of African American and European American Youth. Journal of Community Psychology, 32, 375–389. doi:10.1002/jcop.20007. CrossRef
- Rock, P. F., Cole, D. J., Houshyar, S., Lythcott, M., & Prinstein, M. J. (2011). Peer status in an ethnic context: Associations with African American adolescents' ethnic identity. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 32, 163–169.
- Romero, A. J., & Roberts, R. E. (2003). Stress within a bicultural context for adolescents of Mexican descent. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 9, 171–184. doi:10.1037/1099-9809.9.2.171. CrossRef
- Rosenbloom, S. R., & Way, N. (2004). Experiences of discrimination among African American, Asian American, and Latino adolescents in an urban high school. Youth & Society, 35, 420–451. doi:10.1177/0044118X03261479. CrossRef
- Sawyer, A. L., Bradshaw, C. P., & O’Brennan, L. M. (2008). Examining ethnic, gender, and developmental differences in the way children report being a victim of ‘bullying’ on self-report measures. Journal of Adolescent Health, 43, 106–114. doi:10.1016/j.jadohealth.2007.12.011. CrossRef
- Seaton, E. K., Caldwell, C. H., Sellers, R. M., & Jackson, J. S. (2008). The prevalence of perceived discrimination among African American and Caribbean Black youth. Developmental Psychology, 44, 1288–1297. doi:10.1037/a0012747. CrossRef
- Seaton, E. K., Neblett, E. W., Upton, R., Hammond, W. P., & Sellers, R. M. (2011). The moderating capacity of racial identity in the longitudinal relationship between perceived discrimination and psychological well-being among African American youth. Child Development, 82(6), 1850–1867. CrossRef
- Sellers, R. M., & Shelton, J. (2003). The role of racial identity in perceived racial discrimination. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 84, 1079–1092. doi:10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2069. CrossRef
- Siann, G., Callaghan, M., Glissov, P., Lockhart, R., & Rawson, L. (1994). Who gets bullied? The effect of school, gender and ethnic group. Educational Research, 36, 123–134. CrossRef
- Smith, P. K., Cowie, H., Olafsson, R. F., Liefooghe, A. P. D., et al. (2002). Definitions of bullying: A comparison of terms used, and age and gender differences, in a fourteen-country international comparison. Child Development, 73, 1119–1133. doi:10.1111/1467-8624.00461. CrossRef
- Spencer, M. B. (2006). Phenomenology and ecological systems theory: Development of diverse groups (Chapter 15). In W. Damon & R. Lerner (Eds.), Handbook of child psychology, Vol. 1 (R. Lerner, Ed.): Theoretical models of human development (6th ed., pp. 829–893). New York: Wiley.
- Spencer, M. B., Fegley, S. G., & Harplani, V. (2003). A theoretical and empirical examination of identity as coping: Linking coping resources to the self-process of African American youth. Applied Developmental Science, 7, 181–188. CrossRef
- Szalacha, L. A., Erkut, S., Coll, C. G., Alarcon, O., Fields, J. P., & Ceder, I. (2003). Discrimination and Puerto Rican children’s and adolescents’ mental health. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 9, 141–155. doi:10.1037/1099-9809.9.2.141. CrossRef
- Thompson, C. (1987). Racism or neuroticism: An entangled dilemma for the black middle class patient. Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis, 15(3), 395–405.
- Tynes, B. M., Umana-Taylor, A. J., Rose, C. A., Lin, J., & Anderson, C. J. (2012). Online racial discrimination and the protective function of ethnic identity and self-esteem for African American adolescents. Developmental Psychology, 48, 343–355. doi:10.1037/a0027032. CrossRef
- Umaña-Taylor, A. J., & Guimond, A. B. (2012). A longitudinal examination of parenting behaviors and perceived discrimination predicting Latino adolescents’ ethnic identity. Journal of Latina/o Psychology, 1(S), 14–35. CrossRef
- Verkuyten, M., & Jochem, T. (2006). Ethnic discrimination and global self-worth in early adolescents: The mediating role of ethnic self-esteem. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 30, 107–116. CrossRef
- Way, N. (1997). Adult and peer discrimination measure. Unpublished document.
- Williams, D. R., Neighbors, H. W., & Jackson, J. S. (2003). Racial/ethnic discrimination and health: Findings from community studies. American Journal of Public Health, 93, 200–208. doi:10.2105/AJPH.93.2.20. CrossRef
- Perceived Discrimination and Peer Victimization Among African American and Latino Youth
Journal of Youth and Adolescence
Volume 42, Issue 3 , pp 342-350
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Perceived discrimination
- Peer victimization
- Sociometric ratings