Cyclic polygons are critical points of area
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
It is shown that typical critical points of the signed area function on the moduli space of a generic planar polygon are given by cyclic configurations, i.e., configurations that can be inscribed in a circle. Several related problems are briefly discussed in conclusion. Bibliography: 14 titles.
- V. Arnold, A. Varchenko, and S. Gusein-Zade, Singularities of Differentiable Mappings [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (2005).
- J. Bochnak, M. Coste, and M.-F. Roy, Real Algebraic Geometry, Springer, Berlin–Heidelberg–New York (1998).
- R. Connelly and E. Demaine, “Geometry and topology of polygonal linkages,” in: Handbook of Discrete and Computational Geometry, 2nd edition, CRC Press, Boca Raton (2004), pp. 197–218.
- H. Coxeter and S. Greitzer, Geometry Revisited, Amer. Math. Soc. (1967).
- E. Elerdashvili, M. Jibladze, and G. Khimshiashvili, “Cyclic configurations of pentagon linkages,” Bull. Georgian Nat. Acad. Sci., 2, No. 4, 13–16 (2008).
- M. Fedorchuk and I. Pak, “Rigidity and polynomial invariants of convex polytopes,” Duke Math. J., 129, No. 2, 371–404 (2005). CrossRef
- C. Gibson and P. Newstead, “On the geometry of the planar 4-bar mechanism,” Acta Appl. Math., 7, 113–135 (1986). CrossRef
- M. Kapovich and J. Millson, “Universality theorems for configuration spaces of planar linkages,” Topology, 41, 1051–1107 (2002). CrossRef
- A. Kempe, “A method of describing curves of the nth degree by linkwork,” Proc. London Math. Soc., 7, 213–216 (1876). CrossRef
- G. Khimshiashvili, “On configuration spaces of planar pentagons,” Zap. Nauchn. Semin. POMI, 292, 120–129 (2002).
- G. Khimshiashvili, “Signature formulae and configuration spaces,” J. Math. Sci. 59 (2009), in press.
- D. Robbins, “Areas of polygons inscribed in a circle,” Discrete Comput. Geom., 12, 223–236 (1994). CrossRef
- W. Thurston, “Shapes of polyhedra and triangulations of the sphere,” Geom. Topol. Monogr., 1, 511–549 (1998). CrossRef
- V. Varfolomeev, “Inscribed polygons and Heron polynornials,” Sb. Math., 194, 311–321 (2003). CrossRef
- Cyclic polygons are critical points of area
Journal of Mathematical Sciences
Volume 158, Issue 6 , pp 899-903
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors