Singular Perturbation of Quantum Stochastic Differential Equations with Coupling Through an Oscillator Mode
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider a physical system which is coupled indirectly to a Markovian resevoir through an oscillator mode. This is the case, for example, in the usual model of an atomic sample in a leaky optical cavity which is ubiquitous in quantum optics. In the strong coupling limit the oscillator can be eliminated entirely from the model, leaving an effective direct coupling between the system an the resevoir. Here we provide a mathematically rigorous treatment of this limit as a weak limit of the time evolution and observables on a suitably chosen exponential domain in Fock space. The resulting effective model may contain emission and absorption as well as scattering interactions.
- L. Accardi, A. Frigerio and Y. Lu, The weak coupling limit as a quantum functional central limit. Commun. Math. Phys. 131:537–570 (1990). CrossRef
- L. Accardi, J. Gough and Y. Lu, On the stochastic limit for quantum theory. Rep. Math. Phys. 36:155–187 (1995). CrossRef
- A. Barchielli, Continual measurements in quantum mechanics and quantum stochastic calculus, in Open Quantum Systems III: Recent Developments, S. Attal, A. Joye, C.A. Pillet, eds. (Springer, 2006), pp. 207–292.
- V. P. Belavkin, Quantum stochastic calculus and quantum nonlinear filtering. J. Multivar. Anal. 42:171–201 (1992). CrossRef
- P. Billingsley, Convergence of Probability Measures (John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 1968).
- L. M. Bouten, R. Van Handel and M. R. James, An introduction to quantum filtering. preprint, arXiv:math.OC/0601741 (2006).
- A. C. Doherty, A. S. Parkins, S. M. Tan and D. F. Walls, Motional states of atoms in cavity QED. Phys. Rev. A 57:4804–4817 (1998). CrossRef
- J. A. Dunningham, H. M. Wiseman and D. F. Walls, Manipulating the motion of a single atom in a standing wave via feedback. Phys. Rev. A 55:1398–1411 (1997). CrossRef
- F. Fagnola, On quantum stochastic differential equations with unbounded coefficients. Probab. Th. Rel. Fields 86:501–516 (1990). CrossRef
- C. W. Gardiner, Adiabatic elimination in stochastic systems. I. Formulation of methods and application to few-variable systems. Phys. Rev. A 29:2814–2822 (1984). CrossRef
- C. W. Gardiner and P. Zoller, Quantum Noise (Springer, Berlin, 2000).
- J. Gough, A new approach to non-commutative white noise analysis. C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris Sér. I Math. 326:981–985 (1998).
- J. Gough, Quantum white noises and the master equation for Gaussian reference states. Russ. J. Math. Phys. 10:142–148 (2003).
- J. Gough, Quantum flows as Markovian limit of emission, absorption and scattering interactions. Commun. Math. Phys. 254:489–512 (2005). See quant-ph/0309056 for errata. CrossRef
- J. Gough, Quantum Stratonovich calculus and the quantum Wong-Zakai theorem. J. Math. Phys. 47:113,509 (2006). CrossRef
- R. L. Hudson and K. R. Parthasarathy, Quantum Itô's formula and stochastic evolutions. Commun. Math. Phys. 93:301–323 (1984). CrossRef
- S. Marcus, Modeling and analysis of stochastic differential equations driven by point processes. IEEE Trans. Inf. Th. 24:164–172 (1978). CrossRef
- E. J. McShane, Stochastic Calculus and Stochastic Models (Academic Press, 1974).
- P. A. Meyer, Quantum Probability for Probabilists (Springer, Berlin, 1993).
- K. R. Parthasarathy, An Introduction to Quantum Stochastic Calculus (Birkhäuser, Basel, 1992).
- S. S. Schweber, An Introduction to Relativistic Quantum Field Theory (Dover, Mineola, New York, 2005).
- L. K. Thomsen, S. Mancini and H. M. Wiseman, Continuous quantum nondemolition feedback and unconditional atomic spin squeezing. J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 35:4937 (2002). CrossRef
- F. Verhulst, Methods and Applications of Singular Perturbations (Springer, 2005).
- P. Warszawski and H. M. Wiseman, Adiabatic elimination in compound quantum systems with feedback. Phys. Rev. A 63:013,803 (2001).
- H. M. Wiseman, Quantum theory of continuous feedback. Phys. Rev. A 49:2133–2150 (1994). CrossRef
- H. M. Wiseman and G. J. Milburn, Quantum theory of field-quadrature measurements. Phys. Rev. A 47:642–662 (1993). CrossRef
- K. S. Wong, M. J. Collett and D. F. Walls, Atomic juggling using feedback. Opt. Commun. 137:269–275 (1997). CrossRef
- Singular Perturbation of Quantum Stochastic Differential Equations with Coupling Through an Oscillator Mode
Journal of Statistical Physics
Volume 127, Issue 3 , pp 575-607
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- singular perturbation
- quantum stochastic differential equations
- Hudson–Parthasarathy quantum stochastic calculus
- adiabatic elimination
- Industry Sectors