Heat Transport in Harmonic Lattices
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We work out the non-equilibrium steady state properties of a harmonic lattice which is connected to heat reservoirs at different temperatures. The heat reservoirs are themselves modeled as harmonic systems. Our approach is to write quantum Langevin equations for the system and solve these to obtain steady state properties such as currents and other second moments involving the position and momentum operators. The resulting expressions will be seen to be similar in form to results obtained for electronic transport using the non-equilibrium Green’s function formalism. As an application of the formalism we discuss heat conduction in a harmonic chain connected to self-consistent reservoirs. We obtain a temperature dependent thermal conductivity which, in the high-temperature classical limit, reproduces the exact result on this model obtained recently by Bonetto, Lebowitz and Lukkarinen.
- J. M. Ziman, Principles of the theory of solids, Second Edition (Cambridge University Press, 1972), pp. 71.
- F. Bonetto, J. L. Lebowitz, and L. Rey-Bellet, Fourier’s law: a challenge to theorists, in A. Fokas, A. Grigoryan, T. Kibble, and B. Zegarlinski (eds.), Mathematical Physics 2000, (Imperial College Press, London, 2000), pp. 128–150.
- S. Lepri, R. Livi, and A. Politi, Thermal conduction in classical low-dimensional lattices, Phys. Rep. 377:1 (2003). CrossRef
- T. Hatano, Heat conduction in the diatomic Toda lattice revisited, Phys. Rev. E 59:R1 (1999); A. Dhar, Heat conduction in a one-dimensional gas of elastically colliding particles of unequal masses, Phys. Rev. Lett. 86:3554 (2001); B. Li, H. Zhao, and B. Hu, Can Disorder Induce a Finite Thermal Conductivity in 1D Lattices? Phys. Rev. Lett. 86:63 (2001); P. Grassberger, W. Nadler, and L. Yang, Heat conduction and entropy production in a one-dimensional hard-particle gas, Phys. Rev. Lett. 89:180601 (2002); A. V. Savin, G. P. Tsironis, and A. V. Zolotaryuk, Heat conduction in one-dimensional systems with hard-point interparticle interactions, Phys. Rev. Lett. 88:154301 (2002); G. Casati and T. Prosen, Anomalous heat conduction in a one-dimensional ideal gas, Phys. Rev. E 67:015203(R) (2003); J. S. Wang and B. Li, Intriguing heat conduction of a chain with transverse motions, Phys. Rev. Lett. 92:074302 (2004). CrossRef
- S. Lepri, R. Livi, and A. Politi, Heat conduction in chains of nonlinear oscillators, Phys. Rev. Lett. 78:1896 (1997). CrossRef
- O. Narayan and S. Ramaswamy, Anomalous heat conduction in one-dimensional momentum-conserving systems, Phys. Rev. Lett. 89:200601 (2002). CrossRef
- A. Dhar, Heat conduction in the disordered harmonic chain revisited, Phys. Rev. Lett. 86:5882 (2001). CrossRef
- S. Datta, Electronic Transport in Mesoscopic Systems (Cambridge University Press, 1995).
- Y. Imry, Introduction to Mesoscopic Physics (Oxford University Press, 1997).
- H. Spohn, The phonon Boltzmann equation, properties and link to weakly anharmonic lattice dynamics, math-ph/0505025.
- Z. Rieder, J. L. Lebowitz, and E. Lieb, Properties of a harmonic crystal in a stationary nonequilibrium state, J. Math. Phys. 8:1073 (1967). CrossRef
- R. Rubin and W. Greer, Abnormal lattice thermal conductivity of a one-dimensional, harmonic, isotopically disordered crystal, J. Math. Phys. (N.Y.) 12, 1686 (1971). CrossRef
- A. J. O’Connor and J. L. Lebowitz, Heat conduction and sound transmission in isotopically disordered harmonic crystals, J. Math. Phys. 15:692 (1974). CrossRef
- L. W. Lee and A. Dhar, Heat Conduction in a two-dimensional harmonic crystal with disorder, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95:094302 (2005). CrossRef
- G. Y. Hu and R. F. O’Connell, Quantum transport for a many-body system using a quantum Langevin-equation approach, Phys. Rev. B 36:5798 (1987). CrossRef
- A. N. Cleland, J. M. Schmidt, and J. Clarke, Influence of the environment on the Coulomb blockade in submicrometer normal-metal tunnel junctions, Phys. Rev. B 45:2950 (1992); G. Y. Hu and R. F. O’Connell, Charge fluctuations and zero-bias resistance in small-capacitance tunnel junctions, Phys. Rev. B 49:16505 (1994), Phys. Rev. B 46:14219 (1992). CrossRef
- Y.-C. Chen, J. L. Lebowitz, and C. Liverani, Dissipative quantum dynamics in a boson bath, Phys. Rev. B 40:4664 (1989). CrossRef
- U. Zurcher and P. Talkner, Quantum-mechanical harmonic chain attached to heat baths. II. Nonequilibrium properties, Phys. Rev. A 42:3278 (1990). CrossRef
- K. Saito, S. Takesue, and S. Miyashita, Energy transport in the integrable system in contact with various types of phonon reservoirs, Phys. Rev. E 61:2397 (2000). CrossRef
- A. Dhar and B. S. Shastry, Quantum transport using the Ford-Kac-Mazur formalism, Phys. Rev. B 67:195405 (2003). CrossRef
- D. Segal, A. Nitzan and P. Hanggi, Thermal conductance through molecular wires, J. Chem. Phys. 119:6840 (2003). CrossRef
- A. Dhar and D. Sen, Nonequilibrium Green’s function formalism and the problem of bound states, Phys. Rev. B 73:085119 (2006). CrossRef
- P. Sheng, Introduction to Wave Scattering, Localization and Mesoscopic Phenomena (Academic Press, 1995).
- R. Berkovits and S. Feng, Correlations in coherent multiple scattering, Phys. Reps. 238:135 (1994). CrossRef
- L. G. C. Rego and G. Kirczenow, Quantized thermal conductance of dielectric quantum wires, Phys. Rev. Lett. 81:232 (1998). CrossRef
- M. P. Blencowe, Quantum energy flow in mesoscopic dielectric structures, Phys. Rev. B 59:4992 (1999). CrossRef
- T. Yamamoto and K. Watanabe, Nonequilibrium Green’s function approach to phonon transport in defective carbon nanotubes, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96:255503 (2006). CrossRef
- Y. Meir and N. S. Wingreen, Landauer formula for the current through an interacting electron region, Phys. Rev. Lett. 68:2512 (1992). CrossRef
- A. Kamenev, in Nanophysics: Coherence and Transport (Lecture notes of the Les Houches Summer School 2004).
- M. Bolsterli, M. Rich, and W. M. Visscher, Simulation of nonharmonic interactions in a crystal by self-consistent reservoirs, Phys. Rev. A 4:1086 (1970). CrossRef
- M. Rich and W. M. Visscher, Disordered harmonic chain with self-consistent reservoirs, Phys. Rev. B 11:2164 (1975). CrossRef
- W. M. Visscher and M. Rich, Stationary nonequilibrium properties of a quantum-mechanical lattice with self-consistent reservoirs, Phys. Rev. A 12:675 (1975). CrossRef
- F. Bonetto, J. L. Lebowitz, and J. Lukkarinen, Fourier’s law for a harmonic crystal with self-consistent reservoirs, J. Stat. Phys. 116:783 (2004). CrossRef
- K. Schwab, E. A. Henriksen, J. M. Worlock, and M. L. Roukes, Measurement of the quantum of thermal conductance, Nature 404:974 (2000). CrossRef
- M. Buttiker, Small normal-metal loop coupled to an electron reservoir, Phys. Rev. B 32:1846 (1985). CrossRef
- M. Buttiker, Role of quantum coherence in series resistors, Phys. Rev. B 33:3020 (1986). CrossRef
- D. Roy and A. Dhar, Electron transport in one-dimensional wires with self-consistent stochastic reservoirs, In preparation.
- M. Strass, P. Hanggi, and S. Kohler, Nonadiabatic electron pumping: maximal current with minimal noise, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95:130601 (2005). CrossRef
- Heat Transport in Harmonic Lattices
Journal of Statistical Physics
Volume 125, Issue 4 , pp 801-820
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Harmonic crystal
- quantum Langevin equations
- non-equilibrium Green’s function
- Fourier’s law
- Industry Sectors