The vehicle routing problem with restricted mixing of deliveries and pickups
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The vehicle routing problem with deliveries and pickups is one of the main problems within reverse logistics. This paper focuses on an important assumption that divides the literature on the topic, namely the restriction that all deliveries must be completed before pickups can be made. A generalised model is presented, together with a mathematical formulation and its resolution. The latter is carried out by adopting a suitable implementation of the reactive tabu search metaheuristic. Results show that significant savings can be achieved by allowing a mixture of delivery and pickup loads on-board and yet not incurring delays and driver inconvenience.
- Battarra, M., Erdoğan, G., Laporte, G.,& Vigo, D. (2010). The traveling salesman problem with pickups, deliveries, and handling costs. Transportation Science, 44, 383–399. CrossRef
- Battiti, R., Brunato, M.,& Mascia, F. (2008). Reactive search and intelligent optimization. Berlin: Springer.
- Berbeglia, G., Cordeau, J.-F., Gribkovskaia, I.,& Laporte, G. (2007). Static pickup and delivery problems: A classification scheme and survey. TOP, 15, 1–31. CrossRef
- Brandão, J. (2006). A new tabu search algorithm for the vehicle routing problem with backhauls. European Journal of Operational Research, 173, 540–555. CrossRef
- Casco, D. O., Golden, B. L.,& Wasil, E. A. (1988). Vehicle routing with backhauls: models, algorithms and case studies. In A. A. Assad (Ed.), Vehicle routing: Methods and studies (pp. 127–147). Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Gajpal, Y.,& Abad, P. L. (2009). Multi-ant colony system (MACS) for a vehicle routing problem with backhauls. European Journal of Operational Research, 196, 102–117. CrossRef
- Goetschalckx, M.,& Jacobs-Blecha, C. (1989). The vehicle routing problem with backhauls. European Journal of Operational Research, 42, 39–51. CrossRef
- Halse, K. (1992). Modeling and solving complex vehicle routing problems. PhD thesis, Institute of Mathematical Statistics and Operations Research, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby.
- Hoff, A.,& Løkketangen, A. (2006). Creating lasso-solutions for the traveling salesman problem with pickup and delivery by tabu search. Central European Journal of Operations Research, 14, 125–140. CrossRef
- Hoff, A., Laporte, G., Løkketangen, A.,& Gribkovskaia, I. (2009). Lasso solution strategies for the vehicle routing problem with pickups and deliveries. European Journal of Operational Research, 192, 755–766. CrossRef
- Mingozzi, A., Giorgi, S.,& Baldacci, R. (1999). An exact method for the vehicle routing problem with backhauls. Transportation Science, 33, 315–329. CrossRef
- Mosheiov, G. (1998). Vehicle routing with pickup and delivery: Tour-partitioning heuristics. Computers and Industrial Engineering, 34, 669–684. CrossRef
- Nagy, G.,& Salhi, S. (2005). Heuristic algorithms for single and multiple depot vehicle routing problems with pickups and deliveries. European Journal of Operational Research, 162, 126–141. CrossRef
- Parragh, S. N., Doerner, K. F.,& Hartl, R. F. (2008). A survey on pickup and delivery problems. Part I: Transportation between customers and depot. Journal für Betriebswirtschaft, 58, 21–51. CrossRef
- Reimann, M.,& Ulrich, H. (2006). Comparing backhauling strategies in vehicle routing using ant colony optimization. Central European Journal of Operations Research, 14, 105–123. CrossRef
- Ropke, S.,& Pisinger, D. (2006). A unified heuristic for a large class of vehicle routing problems with backhauls. European Journal of Operational Research, 171, 750–775. CrossRef
- Salhi, S.,& Nagy, G. (1999). A cluster insertion heuristic for single and multiple depot vehicle routing problems with backhauling. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 50, 1034–1042.
- Salhi, S. (2006). Heuristic Search in Action. In S. Salhi (Ed.), OR48 Keynote Papers. London: GORS.
- Toth, P.,& Vigo, D. (1997). An exact algorithm for the vehicle routing problem with backhauls. Transportation Science, 31, 372–385. CrossRef
- Toth, P.,& Vigo, D. (2002). The vehicle routing problem. Philadelphia: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. CrossRef
- Wade, A. C.,& Salhi, S. (2002). An investigation into a new class of vehicle routing problem with backhauls. Omega, 30, 479–487. CrossRef
- Wade, A. C.,& Salhi, S. (2003). An ant system algorithm for the mixed vehicle routing problem with backhauls. In M. G. Resende& J. P. de Sousa (Eds.), Metaheuristics: Computer decision-making (pp. 699–719). New York: Kluwer.
- Wassan, N. A. (2007). Reactive tabu adaptive memory programming search for the vehicle routing problem with backhauls. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 58, 1630–1641. CrossRef
- Wassan, N. A., Nagy, G.,& Ahmadi, S. (2008). A heuristic method for the vehicle routing problem with mixed deliveries and pickups. Journal of Scheduling, 11, 149–161.
- Tütüncü, G. Y., Carreto, C. A. C.,& Baker, B. M. (2009). A visual interactive approach to classical and mixed vehicle routing problems with backhauls. Omega, 37, 138–154. CrossRef
- The vehicle routing problem with restricted mixing of deliveries and pickups
Journal of Scheduling
Volume 16, Issue 2 , pp 199-213
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links