Specific Heat and Magnetocaloric Effect in Ho-Er-Co Solid Solutions
Specific heat measurements have been performed on polycrystalline HoCo2, ErCo2 and their solid solutions Ho1−x Er x Co2 (0.1≤x≤0.5). These compounds were synthesized using high-purity rare-earth metals and cobalt. X-ray diffraction patterns taken at room temperature reveal that all compounds have the C15 cubic Laves phase structure. Heat capacity measurements have been performed in the temperature range of 2–300 K without magnetic field and in a magnetic field of 1 and 2 T. The magnetocaloric effect has been estimated in terms of isothermal magnetic entropy change for all solid solutions in magnetic fields up to 2 T. The effect of increasing Er amount in Ho1−x Er x Co2 on the magnetic and magnetocaloric properties will be discussed.
- Specific Heat and Magnetocaloric Effect in Ho-Er-Co Solid Solutions
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Superconductivity and Novel Magnetism
Volume 26, Issue 1 , pp 183-186
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Magnetic properties of magnetically ordered materials (75.30.-m)
- Specific heat of magnetic materials (75.40.-s)
- Magnetoelectric effects (75.85.+t)
- Industry Sectors