A Review of HTS Thick-Film Microwave Filter Technology
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
For 10 years, thick-film YBCO has been used to make radio frequency filters out of three-dimensional superconductor coated structures. These filters are presented in a detail never before revealed. The chronology of solving technical problems such as coating and construction will be recounted from a historical perspective. The most recent design, which results in a 16-pole, 1.9 GHz filter in a housing measuring 145 mm×60 mm×35 mm, will be shown in detail. We will discuss the challenges in resonator design, substrate fabrication, coating technology, filter design, and filter realization associated with this filter. This overview demonstrates the progression of size over the past decade, resulting in an order of magnitude reduction in filter size and lessening size as a concern for system application of thick-film HTS filters. The impact of this size reduction on performance metrics such as Q and realizable filter order, as well as device characteristics such as intermodulation distortion, will be shown.
- Button, T. W., Alford, N. McN., Wellhofer, E., Shields, T. C., Abell, J. S., Day, M. (1991) IEEE Trans. Magn. 27: pp. 1434 CrossRef
- J. D. Hodge and L. J. Klemptner, U.S. Patent 5,340,797, August 23, 1994.
- T. W. Button, G. Dolman, C. Meggs, and P. A. Smith, U.S. Patent 5,871,818, February 16, 1999.
- Lancaster, M. J., Button, T. W. In: Weinstock, H., Nisenoff, M. eds. (2001) Microwave Superconductivity. Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, pp. 91-116
- Duzer, T., Turner, C. W. (1999) Principles of Superconductive Devices and Circuits. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ
- Hein, M. (1999) High-Temperature Superconductor Thin Films at Microwave Frequencies. Springer-Verlag, Berlin
- Remillard, S. K., Reeves, M. E., Rachford, F. J., Wolf, S. A. (1994) J. Appl. Phys. 75: pp. 4103 CrossRef
- S. K. Remillard, L. J. Klemptner, J. D. Hodge, T. A. Freeman, P. A. Smith, and T. W. Button, in Proceedings of the SPIE Conference on High-Temperature Microwave Superconductors and Applications, vol. 2559, San Diego, CA, July 9–14, 1995.
- S. K. Remillard and J. D. Hodge, U.S. Patent 6,021,337, December 1999.
- R. Lithgow, E. Koh, and G. Peterson, U.S. Patent 5,629,266, May 13, 1997.
- R. Lithgow and J. M. Peters, U.S. Patent 5,616,540, April 1, 1997.
- Mehdizadeh, M., Ishii, T. K., Hyde, J. S., Froncisz, W. (1983) IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech. MTT-31: pp. 1059 CrossRef
- Mehdizadeh, M., Ishii, T. K. (1989) IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech. 37: pp. 1113 CrossRef
- M. Uppaluri and R. Lepinski, U.S. Patent 5,604,472, February 18, 1997.
- Mariani, E. A., Agrios, J. P. (1970) IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech. MTT-18: pp. 1089 CrossRef
- Matthaei, G. L., Young, L., Jones, E. M. T. (1980) Microwave Filters, Impedance-Matching Networks, and Coupling Structures. Artech House, Dedham, MA
- Oates, D. E., Nguyen, P. P., Dresselhaus, G., Dresselhaus, M. S., Chin, C. C. (1993) IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond. 3: pp. 1114 CrossRef
- Remillard, S. K., Abdelmonem, A., Radzikowski, P. O., Lazzaro, N., Applegate, D. S. (2001) J. Supercond. Incorporating Novel Magn. 14: pp. 47 CrossRef
- Remillard, S. K., Yi, H. R., Abdelmonem, A. (2003) IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond. 13: pp. 3797 CrossRef
- Chaloupka, H., Jeck, M., Gurzinski, B., Kolesov, S. (1996) Electron. Lett. 32: pp. 1735 CrossRef
- Shen, Z. Y., Wilker, C., Pang, P., Face, D. W., Carter, C. F., Harrington, D. M. (1997) IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond. 7: pp. 2446 CrossRef
- M. I. Salkola, R. B. Hammond, and N. Fenzi, U.S. Patent application serial number 09/886,768, June 19, 2001.
- A Review of HTS Thick-Film Microwave Filter Technology
Journal of Superconductivity and Novel Magnetism
Volume 19, Issue 7-8 , pp 523-530
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- intermodulation distortion
- Industry Sectors