Power Dissipation in Spintronic Devices Out of Thermodynamic Equilibrium
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Quantum limits of power dissipation in spintronic computing are estimated. A computing element composed of a single electron in a quantum dot is considered. Dynamics of its spin due to external magnetic field and interaction with adjacent dots are described via the Bloch equations. Spin relaxation due to magnetic noise from various sources is described as coupling to a reservoir. Resulting dissipation of energy is calculated and is shown to be much less than the thermal limit, ∼kT per bit, if the rate of spin relaxation is much slower than the switching rate. Clues on how to engineer an energy efficient spintronic device are provided.
- Semiconductor Industry Association. International Roadmap for Semiconductors, chapter Emerging Research Devices (2003). Available at http://public.itrs.net/Files/2003ITRS/Home2003.htm.
- V. V. Zhirnov, R. K. Cavin, J. A. Hutchby, and G. I. Bourianoff, Proc. IEEE. 91, 1934 (2003).
- R. Landauer, IBM J. Res. Dev. 5, 183 (1961).
- S. A. Wolf et al., Science, 294, 1488 (2001).
- I. Zutic, J. Fabian, and S. Das Sarma, Rev. Mod. Phys. 76, 323 (2004).
- R. P. Feynman, Feynman Lectures on Computation, (Addison Wesley, Reading, MA, 1996).
- K. K. Likharev, IEEE Trans. Magn 25, 1436 (1989).
- S. Bandyopadhyay, When it comes to spintronics, there may be some room in the middle, cond-mat 0412519, (2004). Available at http://www.arxiv.org/.
- J. Timler and C. S. Lent, J. Appl. Phys. 94, 1050 (2003).
- C. W. Gardiner and P. Zoller, Quantum Noise: A Handbook of Markovian and Non-Markovian Quantum Stochastic Methods With Applications to Quantum Optics, (Springer, 2nd edition, 1999), Chapter 3.
- J. A. Sidles, J. L. Garbini, W. M. Dougherty, and S.-H. Chao, Proc. IEEE. 91, 799 (2003).
- A. V. Khaetskii and Y. V. Nazarov, ``Spin-flip transitions between Zeeman sublevels in semiconductor quantum dots,'' Phys. Rev. B 64, 125316 (2001).
- G. Csaba, A. Imre, G. H. Bernstein, W. Porod, and V. Metlushko, IEEE Tran. Nanotechnol. 1, 209 (2002).
- S. Bandyopadhyay, B. Das, and A. E. Miller, Nanotechnology, 5, 113 (1994).
- M. C. B. Parish and M. Forshaw, Appl. Phys. Lett. 83, 2046, (2003).
- N. Margolus and L. B Levitin, Physica D, 120, 188 (1998).
- Power Dissipation in Spintronic Devices Out of Thermodynamic Equilibrium
Journal of Superconductivity and Novel Magnetism
Volume 19, Issue 6 , pp 497-513
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- computation theory
- heat dissipation
- quantum theory
- relaxation processes
- magnetic noise
- Industry Sectors