X-ray photoelectron spectroscopic study of the interaction of supported metal catalysts with NOx
The reactions of the platinum and rhodium model catalysts applied to aluminum oxide with NOx (10 Torr NO + 10 Torr O2) were studied by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. The reaction conducted at room temperature formed on the surface of the oxide support the NO 3,s − nitrate ions characterized by the N1s line at 407.4 eV and O1s line at 533.1 eV and the NO 2,s − nitrite ions characterized by the N1s line with a binding energy of 404.7 eV. At the same time, the Pt4f and Rh3d lines of the supported platinum particles are shifted toward higher binding energies by 0.5–1.0 eV and 0.7–1.2 eV, respectively. It is assumed that the binding energies increase due to changes in the chemical state of the platinum metal in which oxygen is dissolved. The reaction of NOx with Pt/Al2O3 at 200°C forms platinum oxide defined by the Pt4f 7/2 line with a binding energy of 72.3 eV.
- W. S. Epling, L. E. Campbell, A. Yezerets, et al., Catal. Rev., 46, 163 (2004). CrossRef
- Z. Liu and S. I. Woo, ibid., 48, 43 (2006). CrossRef
- M. Yu. Smirnov, A. V. Kalinkin, A. V. Pashis, et al., Kinet. Katal., 44, 629 (2003).
- M. Yu. Smirnov, A. V. Kalinkin, A. V. Pashis, et al., J. Phys. Chem. B, 109, 11712 (2005). CrossRef
- J. F. Moulder, W. F. Stickle, P. E. Sobol, and K. D. Bomben, in: Handbook of X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy, J. Chastain (ed.), Perkin-Elmer (1992).
- V. K. Kaushik, Z. Phys. Chem., 173, 105 (1991).
- T. Huizinga, H. F. J. Van t’Blik, J. C. Vis, and R. Prins, Surf. Sci., 135, 580 (1983). CrossRef
- F. Parmigiani, E. Kay, P. S. Bagus, and C. J. Nelin, J. Electron Spectrosc. Relat. Phenom., 36, 257 (1985). CrossRef
- H.-P. Steinrück, F. Pesty, L. Zhang, and T. E. Madey, Phys. Rev. B, 51, 2427 (1995). CrossRef
- P. H. Citrin and G. K. Wertheim, ibid., 27, 3176 (1983). CrossRef
- B. Westerberg and E. Fridell, J. Mol. Catal. A, 165, 249 (2001). CrossRef
- F. Prinetto, G. Ghiotti, I. Nova, et al., J. Phys. Chem. B, 105, 12732 (2001). CrossRef
- S. Zafeiratos, G. Papakonstantinou, M. M. Jacksic, and S. G. Neophytides, J. Catal., 232, 127 (2005). CrossRef
- M. Peuckert and H. P. Bonzel, Surf. Sci., 145, 239 (1984). CrossRef
- J. P. Contour, G. Mouvier, M. Hoogewys, and C. Leclere, J. Catal., 48, 217 (1977). CrossRef
- S. Olsson and E. Fridell, ibid., 210, 340 (2002). CrossRef
- D. Briggs and M. P. Seah (eds.), Practical Surface Analysis by Auger and X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy, Wiley, New York (1983).
- X-ray photoelectron spectroscopic study of the interaction of supported metal catalysts with NOx
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Structural Chemistry
Volume 48, Issue 6 , pp 1053-1060
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Pt/Al2O3 and Rh/Al2O3 model catalysts
- reaction with a mixture of NO and oxygen
- surface nitrate ions
- X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy
- Industry Sectors