A Longitudinal Study of Industrial and Clerical Workers: Incidence of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Assessment of Risk Factors
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study followed workers over an extended period of time to identify factors which may influence the onset of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS). The purpose was to evaluate incidence of CTS and to create a predictive model of factors that play a role in the development of CTS. This prospective study followed 432 industrial and clerical workers over 5.4 years. Incident cases were defined as workers who had no prior history of CTS at baseline testing and were diagnosed with CTS during the follow-up period or at the follow-up screening. On the basis of logistic regression, significant predictors for CTS include baseline median-ulnar peak latency difference, a history of wrist/hand/finger tendonitis, a history of numbness, tingling, burning, and/or pain in the hand, and work above the action level of the peak force and hand activity level threshold limit value. This longitudinal study supports findings from previous cross-sectional studies identifying both work related ergonomic stressors and physical factors as independent risk factors for CTS.
- Atroshi I,Gummesson C,Johnsson R,Ornstein E,Ranstam J,Rosen I. Prevalence of carpal tunnel syndrome in a general Population. JAMA 1999; 282(2): 153–158.
- deKrom MC,Kester AD,Knipschild PG,Spaans F. Risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome. Am J Epid 1990; 132(6): 1102–1110.
- Franzblau A,Werner RA,Valle J,Johnston E. Workplace surveillance for carpal tunnel syndrome: A comparison of methods. J Occup Rehabil 1993; 3(1): 1–14.
- Homan MM,Franzblau A,Werner RA,Albers JW,Armstrong TJ,Bromberg MB. Agreement between symptom surveys,physical examination procedures and electrodiagnostic findings for carpal tunnel syndrome. Scand J Work Environ Health 1999; 25(2): 115–124.
- Franklin GM,Haug J,Heyer N,Checkoway H,Peck N. Occupational carpal tunnel syndrome in Washington state,1984–1988. Am J Pub Health 1991; 81: 741–746.
- Nordstrom DL,DeStefano F,Vierkant RA,Layde PM. Incidence of diagnosed carpal tunnel syndrome in a general population. Epidemiology 1998; 9: 342–345.
- Stevens JC,Sun S,Beard CM,O’Fallon WM,Kurtland LT. Carpal tunnel syndrome in Rochester,Minnesota 1961–1980. Neurology 1988; 38: 134–138.
- Mondelli M,Giannini F,Giacchi M. Carpal tunnel syndrome incidence in a general population. Neurology 2002; 58(2): 289–294.
- Bernard B,ed. Musculoskeletal disorders and workplace factors. Cincinnati,OH: National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety,US Department of Health and Human Services,1997.
- Nathan PA,Keniston RC,Myers LD,Meadows KD,Lockwood RS. Natural history of median nerve sensory conduction in industry: Relationship to symptoms and carpal tunnel syndrome in 558 hands over 11 years. Muscle Nerve 1998; 21(6): 711–721.
- Werner RA,Albers JW,Franzblau A,Armstrong TJ. The relationship between body mass index and the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. Muscle Nerve 1994; 17: 632–636.
- Swajian GR. Carpal tunnel syndrome: A five year study. J Am Osteop Assoc 1981; 81: 49–51.
- Albers JW,Brown MB,Sima AA,Greene DA. Frequency of median mononeuropathy in patients with mild diabetic neuropathy in the early diabetes intervention trial (EDIT). Muscle Nerve 1996; 19: 140–146.
- Leach RE,Odon JA. Systemic causes of the carpal tunnel syndrome. Postgrad Med 1968; 44: 127–131.
- Barnes C,Currey H. Carpal tunnel syndrome in rheumatoid arthritis: A clinical and electrodiagnostic survey. Ann Rheum Dis 1967; 26: 226–233.
- Herbison G,Teng C,Martin J,Ditunno J. Carpal tunnel syndrome in rheumatoid arthritis. Am J Phys Med 1973; 52: 63–74.
- Werner RA,Gell N,Franzblau A,Armstrong TJ. Prolonged median sensory latency as a predictor of future carpal tunnel syndrome. Muscle Nerve 2001; 24(11): 1462–1467. CrossRef
- Katz JN,Stirrat CR. A self-administered hand diagram for the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. J Hand Surg 1990; 15A: 360–363.
- ACGIH Worldwide. 2002 Threshold limit values for chemical substances and physical agents in the work environment. 2002.
- Karasek R,Brisson C,Kawakami N,Houtman I,Bongers P,Amick B. The Job Content Questionnaire (JCQ): An instrument for internationally comparative assessments of psychosocial job characteristics. J Occup Health Psych 1998; 3(4): 322–355. CrossRef
- Gerr F,Marcus M,Ensor C,Kleinbaum D,Cohen S,Edwards A,Gentry E,Ortiz D,Monteilh. A prospective study of computer users: I. Study design and Incidence of musculoskeletal symptoms and disorders. AJIM 2002; 41: 221–235.
- Atecheson SG,Ward JR,Lowe W. Concurrent medical disease in work-related carpal tunnel syndrome. Arch Intern Med 1998; 158: 1506–1512.
- Stevens JC,Beard CM,O’Fallon WM,Kurland LT. Conditions associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. Mayo Clin Proc 1992; 67: 541–548.
- Nathan PA,Keniston RC. Carpal tunnel syndrome and its relation to general physical condition. Hand Clinics 1993; 9(2): 253–261.
- Dieck GS,Kelsey JL. An epidemiologic study of the carpal tunnel syndrome in an adult female population. Prev Med 1985; 14(1): 63–69.
- Ferry S,Hannaford P,Warskyj M,Lewis M,Croft P. Carpal tunnel syndrome: A nested case-control study of risk factors in women. Am J Epidemiol 2000; 151(6): 566–574.
- Park RM,Krebs JM,Mirer FE. Occupational disease surveillance using disability insurance at an automotive stamping and assembly complex. J Occup Environ Med 1996; 38(11): 1111–1123.
- Flowerdew RE,Bode OB. Tenosynovitis in untrained farm-workers. Brit Med J 1942; II(4264): 367.
- A Longitudinal Study of Industrial and Clerical Workers: Incidence of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Assessment of Risk Factors
Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation
Volume 15, Issue 1 , pp 47-55
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- carpal tunnel syndrome
- occupational diseases
- median nerve
- cumulative trauma disorders
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 2. Department of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 6. Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 3. Veteran Affairs Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 4. Center for Ergonomics, Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 5. Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan