A Study on Hepatitis Disease Diagnosis Using Multilayer Neural Network with Levenberg Marquardt Training Algorithm
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this study, a hepatitis disease diagnosis study was realized using neural network structure. For this purpose, a multilayer neural network structure was used. Levenberg–Marquardt algorithm was used as training algorithm for the weights update of the neural network. The results of the study were compared with the results of the previous studies reported focusing on hepatitis disease diagnosis and using same UCI machine learning database. We obtained a classification accuracy of 91.87% via tenfold cross validation.
- Özyılmaz, L., Yıldırım, T., Artificial neural networks for diagnosis of hepatitis disease, in: International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), Portland, OR, USA, July 20–24, vol. 1, 2003, pp. 586–589
- Polat, K., and Güneş, S., A hybrid approach to medical decision support systems: Combining feature selection, fuzzy weighted pre-processing and AIRS. Comput. Methods Programs Biomed. 88:164–174, 2007. CrossRef
- Polat, K., and Güneş, S., Hepatitis disease diagnosis using a new hybrid system based on future selection(FS) and artificial immune recognition system with fuzzy resource allocation. Digit. Signal Process. 16:889–901, 2006. CrossRef
- Polat, K., and Güneş, S., Medical decision support system based on artificial immune recognition system(AIRS), fuzzy weighted pre-processing and feature selection. Expert Syst. Appl. 33:484–490, 2007. CrossRef
- Doğantekin, E., Doğantekin, A., and Avcı, D., Automatic hepatitis diagnosis system based on linear discriminant analysis and adaptive network based on fuzzy inference system. Expert Syst. Appl. 36:11282–11286, 2009. CrossRef
- Kayaer, K., and Yıldırım, T., Medical diagnosis on Pima Indian diabetes using general regression neural networks. In Proc. of International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks and Neural Information Processing (ICANN/ICONIP), Istanbul, pp. 181–184, 2003.
- Delen, D., Walker, G., and Kadam, A., Predicting breast cancer survivability: A comparison of three data mining methods artificial intelligence in medicine. Artif. Intell. Med. 34 (2)113–127, 2005. CrossRef
- Temurtas, F., A comparative study on thyroid disease diagnosis using neural networks. Expert Syst. Appl. 36:944–949, 2009. CrossRef
- Er, O., and Temurtas, F., A study on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease diagnosis using multilayer neural networks. J. Med. Syst. 32 (5)429–432, 2008. CrossRef
- Rumelhart, D. E., Hinton, G. E., and Williams, R. J., Learning internal representations by error propagation. In: Rumelhart, D. E., and McClelland, J. L. (Eds.), Parallel Distributed Processing: Explorations in the Microstructure of Cognition, vol. 1MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, pp. 318–362, 1986.
- Brent, R. P., Fast training algorithms for multi-layer neural nets. IEEE Trans. Neural Netw. 2:346–354, 1991. CrossRef
- Gori, M., and Tesi, A., On the problem of local minima in backpropagation. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Machine Intell. 14:76–85, 1992. CrossRef
- Hagan, M. T., and Menhaj, M., Training feed forward networks with the Marquardt algorithm. IEEE Trans. Neural Netw. 5:989–993, 1994. CrossRef
- Hagan, M. T., Demuth, H. B., and Beale, M. H., Neural Network Design. PWS, Boston, MA, 1996.
- Gulbag, A., and Temurtas, F., A study on quantitative classification of binary gas mixture using neural networks and adaptive neuro fuzzy inference systems. Sens. Actuators B. 115:252–262, 2006. CrossRef
- Carpenter, G. A., and Markuzon, N., ARTMAP-IC and medical diagnosis: Instance counting and inconsistent cases. Neural Netw. 11:323–336, 1998. CrossRef
- Deng, D., and Kasabov, N., On-line pattern analysis by evolving self-organizing maps. In: Proc. of the 5th Biannual Conference on Artificial Neural Networks and Expert Systems (ANNES), Dunedin, pp. 46–51, 2001.
- Hoshi, K., Kawakami, J., Kumagai, M., Kasahara, S., Nisimura, N., Nakamura, H., and Sato, K., An analysis of thyroid function diagnosis using bayesian-type and SOM-type neural networks. Chem. Pharm. Bull. 53:1570–1574, 2005. CrossRef
- MathWorks, Matlab® Documentation. Version 7.0, Release 14. MathWorks, Inc., 2004.
- Er, O., Temurtas, F., and Tanrıkulu, A. C., Tuberculosis disease diagnosis using artificial neural networks. J. Med. Syst. 2008. doi:10.1007/s10916-008-9241-x
- Ozyılmaz, L., and Yıldırım, T., Diagnosis of thyroid disease using artificial neural network methods. In: Proc. of ICONIP’02 9th International Conference on Neural Information Processing, Orchid Country Club, Singapore, pp. 2033–2036, 2002.
- Watkins, A., AIRS: A resource limited artificial immune classifier. Master Thesis, Mississippi State University, 2001.
- A Study on Hepatitis Disease Diagnosis Using Multilayer Neural Network with Levenberg Marquardt Training Algorithm
Journal of Medical Systems
Volume 35, Issue 3 , pp 433-436
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Hepatitis disease diagnosis
- Multilayer neural network
- Levenberg–Marquardt training algorithm
- Industry Sectors