The Thermal Damping of an Aerogel Resonator in Superfluid 3He-B at Ultra Low Temperatures
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We present measurements of the thermal damping of a cylindrical aerogel sample oscillating in superfluid. 3He-B in the low temperature regime. The measurements are made at low pressures where the 3He confined in the aerogel is normal. As in the case of conventional vibrating wire resonators, the thermal damping arises from quasiparticle collisions at the wire surface and is enhanced by many orders of magnitude by Andreev scattering from the superfluid backflow around the resonator. However, in the case of aerogel, incoming quasiparticles must be absorbed and thermalised within the aerogel before being re-emilled.
- 1. J.V. Porto and J.M. Parpia, Phys. Rev. Lett. 74, 4667 (1995).
- 2. P.Brussaard, S.N. Fisher, A.J.Hale, A.M. Guénault, N. Mulders and G.R.Pickett, Phys. Rev. Lett. 86, 4580 (2001).
- 3. A.M. Guénault, V.Keith, C.J.Kennedy, S.G.Mussett and G.R.Pickett, J. Low Temp. Phys. 62, 511 (1986).
- 4. S.N. Fisher, A.M. Guénault, C.J. Kennedy and G.R. Pickett, Phys. Rev. Lett. 63, 2566 (1989).
- 5. M.P.Enrico, S.N.Fisher and R.J.Watts-Tobin, J. Low Temp. Phys. 98, 81 (1995).
- 6. M.P.Enrico, S.N.Fisher, A.M.Guénault, G.R.Pickett and K.Torizuka, Phys. Rev. Lett. 70, 1846 (1993).
- 7. J.W.S Rayleigh Theory of Sound Vol. 1, Dover Publications (1945).
- The Thermal Damping of an Aerogel Resonator in Superfluid 3He-B at Ultra Low Temperatures
Journal of Low Temperature Physics
Volume 138, Issue 1-2 , pp 123-128
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physics, Lancaster University, Lancaster, LA1 4YB, UK
- 2. Institute of Experimental Physics, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Watsonova 43, 04353, Košsice, Slovakia