Perceptions of Mental Illness and Related Stigma Among Vietnamese Populations: Findings from a Mixed Method Study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Mental-illness-related (MIR) stigma is recognized as a major barrier to health care. Yet very little is known about mental illness and stigma among Vietnamese populations, or how emigration and acculturation processes might affect traditional views. Focus group discussions were conducted with Vietnamese Americans in New Orleans (Louisiana) and Vietnamese nationals in Bui Chu (Vietnam), who shared historical and cultural backgrounds, in 2010 to assess differences in their perceptions of mental illness and stigma. Results show several significant differences in mental illness perceptions between Vietnamese Americans and Vietnamese nationals, while MIR stigma seemed prevalent and understanding of mental illness was low among both groups.
- Sadavoy J, Meier R, Ong AY. Barriers to access to mental health services for ethnic seniors: the Toronto study. [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov’t]. Can J Psychiatry. 2004;49(3):192–9.
- Wynaden D, Chapman R, Orb A, McGowan S, Zeeman Z, Yeak S. Factors that influence Asian communities’ access to mental health care. [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov’t]. Int J Ment Health Nurs. 2005;14(2):88–95. doi:10.1111/j.1440-0979.2005.00364.x. CrossRef
- Leong FT, Lau AS. Barriers to providing effective mental health services to Asian Americans. Ment Health Serv Res. 2001;3(4):201–14. CrossRef
- Vu L, VanLandingham MJ. Physical and mental health consequences of Katrina on Vietnamese immigrants in New Orleans: a pre- and post-disaster assessment. J Immigr Minor Health. 2012;14(3):386–94. CrossRef
- Obeyesekere G. Depression, Buddhism and the work of culture in Sri Lanka. In: Culture and depression: studies in the anthropology and cross-cultural psychiatry of affect and disorder. 1985. pp. 134–152.
- Carlin K, Preibe A, Do M, Bankston C, VanLandingham M. Culture and Resiliency within a Vietnamese-American Enclave post-Katrina. Global Horizons. Center for Policy and Resilience, University of Southern Mississippi Gulf Coast, Long Beach, MS. 2011.
- Perceptions of Mental Illness and Related Stigma Among Vietnamese Populations: Findings from a Mixed Method Study
Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Mental illness
- Vietnamese Americans
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Global Health Systems and Development, School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA, USA
- 2. Department of Psychology, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA, USA