December 2011, Volume 13, Issue 6, pp 1180-1182,
Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Date: 11 May 2011
Cancer and Chronic Diseases in Minority Populations: The Need for More Educational Materials in Spanish for Healthcare Providers
This short communication piece provides an overview of the Latin American Supercourse, a collection of public health lectures in Spanish targeting educators in Mexico, US, and Spanish speaking countries.
- LaPorte RE, Chiu WT. Strategic plan: building a international strategy for risk reduction supercourse. Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2008;101:79–81. CrossRef
- LaPorte RE, Linkov F, Villasenor T, Sauer F, Gamboa C, Lovalekar M, et al. Papyrus to PowerPoint (P 2 P): metamorphosis of scientific communication. BMJ. 2002;325(7378):1478–81. CrossRef
- Laporte RE, Omenn GS, Serageldin I, Cerf VG, Linkov F. A scientific supercourse. Science. 2006;312(5773):526. CrossRef
- Laporte RE, Sekikawa A, Sa E, Linkov F, Lovalekar M. Whisking research into the classroom. BMJ. 2002;324(7329):99. CrossRef
- Steinberg ML, Fremont A, Khan DC, Huang D, Knapp H, Karaman D, et al. Lay patient navigator program implementation for equal access to cancer care and clinical trials: essential steps and initial challenges. Cancer. 2006;107(11):2669–77. CrossRef
- NCI. http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@nho/documents/document/ffhispanicslatinos20092011.pdf. In; 2010.
- Linkov F, LaPorte R, Lovalekar M, Dodani S. Web quality control for lectures: supercourse and Amazon.com. Croat Med J. 2005;46(6):875–8.
- Linkov F, Lovalekar M, LaPorte R. Quality control of epidemiological lectures online: scientific evaluation of peer review. Croat Med J. 2007;48(2):249–55.
- Linkov F, Omenn GS, Serageldin I, Cerf V, Lovalekar M, Laporte R. Multilayer and multimetric quality control: the supercourse. J Cancer Educ. 2010.
- Sleath B, Blalock SJ, Bender DE, Murray M, Cerna A, Cohen MG. Latino patients’ preferences for medication information and pharmacy services. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2009;49(5):632–6.
- Williams MV, Parker RM, Baker DW, Parikh NS, Pitkin K, Coates WC, et al. Inadequate functional health literacy among patients at two public hospitals. JAMA. 1995;274(21):1677–82. CrossRef
- Manning DL, Dickens C. Health literacy: more choice, but do cancer patients have the skills to decide? Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2006;15(5):448–52. CrossRef
- Van Servellen G, Brown JS, Lombardi E, Herrera G. Health literacy in low-income Latino men and women receiving antiretroviral therapy in community-based treatment centers. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2003;17(6):283–98. CrossRef
- Cancer and Chronic Diseases in Minority Populations: The Need for More Educational Materials in Spanish for Healthcare Providers
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health
Volume 13, Issue 6 , pp 1180-1182
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Public health
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Health Sciences and Engineering, Campus Celaya Salvatierra, University of Guanajuato, Rio Lerma S/N Col. Enrique Colunga Celaya, 38060, Gto Mexico, Mexico
- 2. Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
- 3. Institute of Internal Medicine, Novosibirsk, Russia
- 4. University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA