Hepatitis B Among Pacific Islanders in Southern California: How is Health Information Associated with Screening and Vaccination?
We measured Hepatitis B virus (HBV) transmission knowledge and self-reported screening/testing behavior among Pacific Islanders (Guamanians/Chamorros, Samoans, and Tongans) in Southern California. We also examined access and trust by Pacific Islanders of varying health information sources. We administered and analyzed survey data (N = 297), using a convenience sample in Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego Counties in spring 2009. We found that while Pacific Islander respondents reported that they receive health information from physicians, and largely trust this source, information from and trust in physicians were not statistically significant in explaining whether respondents sought HBV screening or vaccination.
- Hu, K.-Q. (2008). Hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection in Asian and Pacific Islander Americans (APIAs): How can we do better for this special population? American Journal of Gastroenterology, 103, 1824–1833. CrossRef
- Grytdal, S. P., Liao, Y., Chen, R., Garvin, C. C., Grigg-Saito, D., Kagawa-Singer, M., et al. (2009). Hepatitis B testing and vaccination among vietnamese and Cambodian-Americans. Journal of Community Health, 34, 173–180. CrossRef
- Custer, B., Sullivan, S. D., Hazlet, T. K., Iloeje, U., Veenstra, D. L., & Kowdley, K. V. (2004). Global epidemiology of Hepatitis B virus. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, 38(10 Suppl), S158–S168. CrossRef
- Hepatitis B Among Pacific Islanders in Southern California: How is Health Information Associated with Screening and Vaccination?
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Community Health
Volume 36, Issue 1 , pp 47-55
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Hepatitis B screening and vaccination
- Health information
- Pacific Islander health
- Southern California
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departments of Urban Planning and Asian American Studies, UCLA, Box 951656, Los Angeles, CA, 90095-1656, USA
- 2. Department of Urban Planning, UCLA, Box 951656, Los Angeles, CA, 90095-1656, USA
- 3. Guam Communications Network, 4201 Long Beach Blvd., Ste. 218, Long Beach, CA, 90807, USA
- 4. Pacific Islander Festival Association, PO Box 86046, San Diego, CA, 92138, USA
- 5. National Organization for the Advancement of Chamorro People, PO Box 17203, Long Beach, CA, 90807, USA
- 6. Kanana Fou Samoan Congregational Christian Church, 25304 Narbonne Avenue, Lomita, CA, 90717, USA