A Family Experience of Personal Genomics
- Manuel Corpas
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article presents a personal journey of a close-knit family from Málaga, Spain who engaged with direct-to-consumer (DTC) genomic testing. Whilst the testing was initiated by one member of the family who works as a genome bioinformatician, none of the remaining family had any prior experience with DTC genetic testing. A thoughtful account, written in the first person, is offered on the experience of genome testing across the various members of the family together with a reflection on how it felt to be a custodian of the ‘family genome’. The way the family processed their genome information is explored and the difficulties and challenges that resulted are discussed. Whilst there is a wealth of literature that describes how families communicate information surrounding single genes, there is very little which explores the experience of communication about whole, shared genomes. The experiences described in this paper provide an insight into this new territory.
- Corpas, M. (2011). Manuel Corpas' Blog. from http://manuelcorpas.com
- Jimenez, R. C., Salazar, G. A., Gel, B., Dopazo, J., Mulder, N., & Corpas, M. (2011). myKaryoView: A Light-weight Client for Visualization of Personal Genomes. In Review.
- Lou, H., Yeager, M., Li, H., Bosquet, J. G., Hayes, R. B., Orr, N., & Kraft, P. (2009). Fine mapping and functional analysis of a common variant in MSMB on chromosome 10q11. 2 associated with prostate cancer susceptibility. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 106(19), 7933. CrossRef
- Segal, J. B. (2009). Outcomes of genetic testing in adults with a history of venous thromboembolism: Johns Hopkins University. Evidence-based Practice Center. Agency for Healthcare Research Quality, United States.
- A Family Experience of Personal Genomics
Journal of Genetic Counseling
Volume 21, Issue 3 , pp 386-391
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Direct-to-consumer genetic testing
- Family communication
- Whole family genotyping
- Custodian of genetic information
- Genetic risk
- Industry Sectors
- Manuel Corpas (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Cambridge, United Kingdom