National Society of Genetic Counselors Natalie Weissburger Paul Lifetime Achievement Award Address: The Power of Connecting
- Wendy R. Uhlmann
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
I am truly honored to receive the Natalie Weissburger Paul Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC). The NSGC has played such an important role in my professional life and I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to play an active role in this organization. I want to thank the Awards Committee, Samantha Baxter, MS, CGC for her introduction and congratulate the other award recipients who no doubt will be standing up here one day given all of their impressive contributions and achievements.
Receiving this award in California is particularly meaningful. I attended my first NSGC conference in San Diego in 1987 and my whole class was here – all two of us. It was in 1996 in San Francisco, that I received NSGC’s Regional Leadership Award. I was not notified about the award in advance as was the custom in those days. It was the end of the meeting and I went to the awards presentations just prior to meeting my cousins who were taking me to the beach a ...
- Baker, D. L., Schuette, J. L., & Uhlmann, W. R. (Eds.). (1998). A guide to genetic counseling. New York: Wiley-Liss.
- Green, R. C., Roberts, J. S., Cupples, L. A., Relkin, N. R., Whitehouse, P. J., Brown, T., Eckert, S. L., Butson, M., Sadovnick, A. D., Quaid, K. A., Chen, C., Cook-Deegan, R., Farrer, L. A., & REVEAL Study Group. (2009). Disclosure of APOE genotype for risk of Alzheimer’s disease. The New England Journal of Medicine, 361, 245–254. CrossRef
- Guttmacher, A. E., Jenkins, J., & Uhlmann, W. R. (2001). Genomic medicine: Who will practice it? A call to open arms. American Journal of Medical Genetics Seminars in Medical Genetics, 106, 216–222. CrossRef
- JAMA website. Information for Authors, section on “About JAMA.” http://jama.ama-assn.org/site/misc/aboutjama.xhtml. Accessed 20 November 2011.
- National Archives, Federal Register, Executive Orders Disposition Tables, William J. Clinton – 2000, Executive Order 13145. http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/executive-orders/2000.html http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2000_register&docid=fr10fe00-165.pdf. Accessed 21 November 2011.
- Pear, R. (2000). Clinton Bans Use of Genetic Makeup in Federal Employment. New York Times A18, February 9, 2000. http://www.nytimes.com/2000/02/09/us/clinton-bans-use-of-genetic-makeup-in-federal-employment.html?scp=3&sq=Robert%20Pear,%20february%202000&st=cse. Accessed 20 November 2011.
- Resta, R. G. (2009). Commentary. Unprepared, understaffed and unplanned: Thoughts on the practical implications of discovering new breast and ovarian cancer causing genes. Journal of Genetic Counseling, 18, 521–523. CrossRef
- Roberts, J. S., Christensen, K. D., & Green, R. C. (2011). Using Alzheimer’s disease as a model for genetic risk disclosure: Implications for personal genomics. Clinical Genetics, 80, 407–414. CrossRef
- Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Genetic Testing (SACGT). Meetings and Conferences. http://oba.od.nih.gov/SACGHS/sacgt_meetings.html. Accessed 21 November 2011.
- Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Genetic Testing (SACGT) (2000a). Transcript, January 27, 2000, pages 222–225. http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/executive-orders/2000.html. Accessed 21 November 2011.
- Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Genetic Testing (SACGT) (2000b). Transcript, August 4, 2000, pages 65–67. http://oba.od.nih.gov/oba/sacgt/transcripts/sacgt84.pdf. Accessed 21 November 2011.
- Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Genetic Testing (SACGT) (2000c). Transcript, June 5, 2000, pages 47–51. http://oba.od.nih.gov/oba/sacgt/transcripts/sacgttrans6-5-00.pdf. Accessed 21 November 2011.
- Uhlmann, W. R. (2000a). 1999 Presidential address to the National Society of Genetic Counselors. Journal of Genetic Counseling, 9, 3–8. CrossRef
- Uhlmann, W.R. (2000b). When genes are decoded, who should see the results? Invited essay, New York Times, D7, February 29, 2000. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30A1FFF3E5D0C7A8EDDAB0894D8404482&scp=1&sq=Wendy%20uhlmann&st=cse Accessed 20 November 2011.
- Uhlmann, W.R. (2008). Why we need to talk openly about death: The ultimate homework assignment. Newsweek.com, My Turn: Health Triumphs, October 3, 2008. http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2008/10/02/the-ultimate-homework-assignment.html. Accessed 20 November 2011.
- Uhlmann, W. R. (2009). Invited Commentary. Response to Robert G. Resta Commentary, Unprepared, understaffed and unplanned: Thoughts on the practical implications of discovering new breast and ovarian cancer causing genes. Journal of Genetic Counseling, 18, 524–526. CrossRef
- Uhlmann, W. R. (2010). Commentary. Uhlmann rejoinder to: Taubman’s “Letter to the Editor. Journal of Genetic Counseling, 19, 419–421. CrossRef
- Uhlmann, W. R., & Guttmacher, A. E. (2008). Key internet genetics resources for the clinician. Journal of the American Medical Association, 299, 1356–1358.
- Uhlmann, W. R., Schuette, J. L., & Yashar, B. M. (Eds.). (2009). A guide to genetic counseling (2nd ed.). New York: Wiley-Blackwell.
- White House, Office of the Press Secretary, February 8, 2000. http://clinton3.nara.gov/WH/New/html/20000208.html Accessed 20 November 2011.
- National Society of Genetic Counselors Natalie Weissburger Paul Lifetime Achievement Award Address: The Power of Connecting
Journal of Genetic Counseling
Volume 21, Issue 1 , pp 7-12
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC)
- Award address
- Natalie Weissburger Paul
- Genetic counselor
- Lifetime achievement award
- Industry Sectors
- Wendy R. Uhlmann (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, University of Michigan Health System, 300 North Ingalls, NI3 A03, SPC 5419, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109, USA
- 2. Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA