Comparative Analysis of Glyoxylate Cycle Key Enzyme Isocitrate Lyase from Organisms of Different Systematic Groups
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Isocitrate lyase and malate synthase are the key enzymes of glyoxylate cycle that represents the most important stage on the pathway of conversion of fatty acids to carbohydrates. Until now, induction of enzymes of this metabolic pathway was considered to take place only in cells of prokaryotes, plants, fungi, and nematodes in response to arising demands in carbohydrates. However, the isocitrate lyase activities have been detected in the liver of food-starved rats in our previous work and in pupas of the butterfly Papilio machaon in the present study. The enzymes from both studied objects were purified to homogeneous condition. The main kinetic and physicochemical properties of isocitrate lyase were studied. Organisms of evolutionary distant taxa—mammal, insect, and plant—were chosen for comparative analysis of properties of the studied enzyme. A substantial similarity of kinetic and physicochemical properties of plant and animal isocitrate leases has been found. At the same time, the absence of specific for prokaryotic, plant, and nematode isocitrate lyase nucleotide sequences has been established in mRNA from liver of starved rats and swallowtail pupa. These results are completely confirmed by analysis of the complete genome sequences of the mouse, Drosophila, and human. The obtained data raise the question about the pathway of evolution of genes of the glyoxylate cycle key enzymes.
- Kornberg, H.L., Krebs, H.A. (1957) Synthesis of Cell Constituents from C2-Units by a Modified Tricarboxylic Acid Cycle. Nature 179: pp. 988-991
- Kornberg, H.L., Beevers, H. (1957) The Glyoxylate Cycle as a Stage in the Conversion of Fat to Carbohydrate in Castor Beans. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 26: pp. 531-537
- Zemlyanukhin, A.A., Zemlyanukhin, L.A., Eprintsev, A.T., and Igamberdiev, A.U., Glioksilatnyi Tsikl Rastenii (The Glyoxylate Cycle of Plants), Voronezh, 1986.
- Khan, F.R., McFadden, B.A. (1980) Embryogenesis and the Glyoxylate Cycle. FEBS Lett. 115: pp. 312-314 CrossRef
- Tishchenko, B.P., Fisiologiya Nasekomykh (Insects Physiology), Moscow, 1986.
- Kamel, M.Y., Fahmy, A.S. (1982) Biochemical Studies of Tick Embryogenesis. V. Purification and Partial Characterization of Isocitrate Lyase from Eggs of the Tick Hyalomma dromedarii. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 72B: pp. 107-115
- Benevides, J.M., Tremblay, G.C., Hammen, C.S. (1989) Determination of Isocitrate Lyase and Malate Synthase Activities in a Marine Mollusk by a New Method of Assay. Comp. pBiochem. Physiol. 94B: pp. 779-782
- Goodman, D.B., Davis, W.L., Jones, R.G. (1980) Glyoxylate Cycle in Toad Urinary Bladder: Possible Stimulation by Aldosteron. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 77: pp. 1521-1525
- Davis, W.L., Jones, R.G., Farmer, G.R., Dickerson, T., Cortinas, E., Cooper, O.J., Crawford, L.A., Goodman, D.B. (1990) Identification of Glyoxylate Cycle Enzymes in Chick Liver—The Effect of Vitamin D3: Cytochemistry and Biochemistry. Anat. Rec. 227: pp. 271-284 CrossRef
- Davis, W.L., Goodman, D.B. (1992) Evidence for Glyoxylate Cycle in Human Liver. Anat. Rec. 234: pp. 461-468 CrossRef
- Lebkova, N.P. (2000) Current Concepts of Intracellular Mechanisms of Energy Maintenance in Norm and Pathology. Vestn. RAMN 9: pp. 16-22
- Popov, V.N., Igamberdiev, A.U., Schnarrenbergger, C., Volvenkin, S.V. (1996) Induction of Glyoxylate Cycle Enzymes in Rat Liver upon Food Starvation. FEBS Lett. 390: pp. 258-260 CrossRef
- Popov, V.N., Volvenkin, S.V., Eprintsev, A.E., Igamberdiev, A.U. (2000) Induction of Glyoxylate Cycle Enzymes in Various Tissues of Starving Rats. Izv. RAN, Ser. Biol. 6: pp. 672-678
- Popov, V.N., Igamberdiev, A.U., Volvenkin, S.V. (1996) Purification and Properties of Isocitrate Lyase and Malate Synthase from Fasting Rat Liver. Biokhimiya 61: pp. 1898-1903
- Davis, W.L., Goodman, D.B., Crawford, L.A., Cooper, O.J., Matthews, J.L. (1990) Hibernation Activates Glyoxylate Cycle and Gluconeogenesis in Black Bear Brown Adipose Tissue. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1051: pp. 276-278
- Popov, V.N., Volvenkin, S.V., Eprintsev, A.T., Igamberdiev, A.U. (1998) Glyoxylate Cycle Enzymes Are Present in Liver Peroxisomes of Alloxan-Treated Rats. FEBS Lett. 440: pp. 55-58 CrossRef
- Dixon, G.H., Kornberg, H.L. (1959) Assay Methods for the Key Enzymes of the Glyoxylate Cycle. Biochem. J. 72: pp. 3
- Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, N.J., Farr, A.L., Randall, R.J. (1951) Protein Measurement with the Folin Reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193: pp. 265-275
- Davis, B.J., Jones, R.G., Farmer, G.R. (1964) Method and Application to Human Serum Proteins. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 121: pp. 404-427
- Reeves, H.C., Volk, M.J. (1972) Determination of Isocitrate Lyase Activity in Polyacrylamide Gels. Anal. Biochem. 48: pp. 437-441 CrossRef
- Laemmli, U.K. (1970) Cleavage of Structural Proteins during the Assembly of the Head of Bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: pp. 680-685 CrossRef
- Morrissey, J.H. (1981) Silver Stain for Proteins in Polyacrylamide Gels: A Modified Procedure with Enhanced Uniform Sensitivity. Anal. Biochem. 117: pp. 307-310 CrossRef
- Chomczynski, P., Sacchi, N. (1987) Single-Method of RNA Isolation by Acid Guanidinium Thiocyanate-Phenol-Chloroform Extraction. Anal. Biochem. 162: pp. 156-159 CrossRef
- Zemlyanukhin, A.A., Igamberdiev, A.U., Presnyakova, E.N. (1986) Purification and Characterization of Isocitrate Lyase from Maize Scutella. Biokhimiya 51: pp. 442-448
- Dixon, M. and Webb, E., Fermenty (Enzymes), Moscow, 1982. See also: Dixon, M. and Webb, E.C., Enzyme, 3rd Ed., Longmans, London, 1979.
- Koolman, J. and Rohm, K.-H., Naglyadnaya Biokhimiya (Demonstrative Biochemistry), Moscow, 2000. See also: Koolman, J. and Rohm, K.-H., Taschenatlas der Biochemie, Georg Thieme Verlag Stuttgatr, New York, 1998.
- Liu, F., Thatcher, J.D., Barral, J.M., Epstein, H.F. (1995) Bifunctional Glyoxylate Cycle Protein of Caenorhabditis elegans: A Developmentally Regulated Protein of Intestine and Muscle. Dev. Biol. 169: pp. 399-414 CrossRef
- Comparative Analysis of Glyoxylate Cycle Key Enzyme Isocitrate Lyase from Organisms of Different Systematic Groups
Journal of Evolutionary Biochemistry and Physiology
Volume 41, Issue 6 , pp 631-639
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links