How to Think about the Problem of Free Will
- Peter van Inwagen
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this essay I present what is, I contend, the free-will problem properly thought through, or at least presented in a form in which it is possible to think about it without being constantly led astray by bad terminology and confused ideas. Bad terminology and confused ideas are not uncommon in current discussions of the problem. The worst such pieces of terminology are “libertarian free will” and “compatibilist free will.” The essay consists partly of a defense of the thesis that the use of these phrases by writers on the problem of free will can only generate conceptual confusion and partly of a formulation of the problem that does not make use of them. I contend that this formulation is neutral with respect to the historically important positions on free will (e.g., compatibilism and incompatibilism).
- Austin, J. 1961. Ifs and cans. In Philosophical papers, ed. J. Urmson and G. Warnock, 153–180. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- Baker, L. 2003. Why Christians should not be libertarians: An Augustinian challenge. Faith and Philosophy 20: 460–478.
- Broad, C.D. 1952. Ethics and the history of philosophy. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- Dennett, D. 1978. Brainstorms. Cambridge: The MIT Press.
- Dennett, D. 1984. Elbow room: The varieties of free will worth wanting. Cambridge: The MIT Press.
- Hobart, R. 1934. Free-will as involving determination and inconceivable without it. Mind 43: 1–27. CrossRef
- Kane, R. (ed.). 2002. The Oxford handbook of free will. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Lewis, D. 1981. Are we free to break the laws? Theoria 47: 113–121. CrossRef
- van Inwagen, P. 1983. An Essay on free will. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- van Inwagen, P. 1988. Review of Daniel Dennett, Elbow room. Noûs 22: 609–618.
- van Inwagen, P. 2000. Free will remains a mystery. Philosophical Perspectives 14: 1–19.
- How to Think about the Problem of Free Will
The Journal of Ethics
Volume 12, Issue 3-4 , pp 327-341
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Compatibilist free will
- Free will
- Libertarian free will
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, 46556, USA